VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQs No Longer Available Online

Rate this question

JustGettingStarted

Question

VA has removed all the DBQs from their website with this statement at the end of the page:  "VBA has discontinued the use of public facing Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs).  Originally, public facing DBQs were designed to assist Veterans living overseas to obtain medical evidence in support of their benefit claims where limited options were available.  Today, VA works with contracted providers in more than 30 foreign countries to conduct disability medical examinations."

I monitor a Veteran's facebook page and often refer veterans to the DBQs for their conditions.  In some cases, it is to download and have their doctor fill out a copy; in others, it is so a veteran can fill out the DBQ and take it to their C&P exam to make sure all the facts essential to their claim are covered by the examiner.  I had my dermatologist do a DBQ for me after fighting the VA for almost 2 years for an increase because the VA examiners couldn't complete a simple form.  It was the key to getting an increase from 0 to 60% for a skin condition and winning a CUE to get 8 years in back pay.

This is an affront to the veteran community making it much more difficult for veterans to win their claims.  

I am wondering if the DBQs can be requested under FOIA and posted on some other pages such as here on Hadit.  I know it is more work for the admins, but if someone had the time to take this on and provide this vital information to veterans, it would be extremely helpful.

Also, if you could start a new thread just for DBQs, I have blank copies in PDF format that I would be glad to upload.  I figure even if they become a bit outdated, they would be better than have zero access to this information.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_disabilityexams.asp

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Please keep in mind that DBQs captured a medical snapshot in time of the veteran's disability. Their fields were solely used determining rating percentages, not SC status. Even if a doctor fills out an older copy of a DBQ, it is still evidence. 

Simply having the statement "as least as likely as not" does not equal automatic SC. For quite some time, the VA has used a separate internal form for C&P examiners to state SC opinions. Non-VA doctors still would have been required to submit a separate medical nexus with sufficient medical rationale to justify SC. More informed doctors will continue to use the 38 CFR regulations to perform their exams.

Removing public DBQs detrimentally impacts effective dates.

Whether internal or external, the VARO must still review the evidence and the medical rationale before awarding SC. If the material they receive, from either private or C&P docs, is insufficient, they would request clarification or reexamination by a VA C&P doc.

I assume the majority of fraud would have been by non-qualified examiners taking advantage of the veteran to make a quick buck up front. Some doctors have made a living off of performing disability exams for both VA and social security. They have skin in the game and would be less likely to commit perjury and falsely fill out a document.

MAJOR FYI:

I just got off the phone with my county VA rep and we talked about the DBQ removal. They said that in a phone call today, the VBA had listened to the multiple complaints and the sudden removal without any guidance on current DBQ holders. So here's what they have been advised:

DBQs will be accepted and effective up until June 1st

I asked if we were still able to have new ones filled out, and they said that the VBA did not say they would be disqualified prior to June 1st. However, they advised to have them filled ASAP so that it was near to the sudden removal. They also said that many local VA reps may have some of the DBQs saved.

TLDR: GET DBQs FILLED OUT AND FILED BEFORE JUNE 1ST!!

Good post only wish it was in writing.  Hopefully VA will put out a letter. I just spoke to Peggy today 1 800 VA and they told me that a removed Fast Letter does not exist but I have a written copy in my hands that I printed up Monday and now it is hard to find online.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, JustGettingStarted said:

So it still looks like the forms are still online, but VA has just made it harder to find them.  Thanks for the great links provided here.  I saved some to a file and added to the Files in the FB page I help moderate.

I can’t access the DBQs through any of the posted back door way to get them. I’m using an iPhone, is that why I can’t get them. Actually, I was able to see the dbq list, but they all were just one page. Any other way?