VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQs No Longer Available Online

Rate this question

JustGettingStarted

Question

VA has removed all the DBQs from their website with this statement at the end of the page:  "VBA has discontinued the use of public facing Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs).  Originally, public facing DBQs were designed to assist Veterans living overseas to obtain medical evidence in support of their benefit claims where limited options were available.  Today, VA works with contracted providers in more than 30 foreign countries to conduct disability medical examinations."

I monitor a Veteran's facebook page and often refer veterans to the DBQs for their conditions.  In some cases, it is to download and have their doctor fill out a copy; in others, it is so a veteran can fill out the DBQ and take it to their C&P exam to make sure all the facts essential to their claim are covered by the examiner.  I had my dermatologist do a DBQ for me after fighting the VA for almost 2 years for an increase because the VA examiners couldn't complete a simple form.  It was the key to getting an increase from 0 to 60% for a skin condition and winning a CUE to get 8 years in back pay.

This is an affront to the veteran community making it much more difficult for veterans to win their claims.  

I am wondering if the DBQs can be requested under FOIA and posted on some other pages such as here on Hadit.  I know it is more work for the admins, but if someone had the time to take this on and provide this vital information to veterans, it would be extremely helpful.

Also, if you could start a new thread just for DBQs, I have blank copies in PDF format that I would be glad to upload.  I figure even if they become a bit outdated, they would be better than have zero access to this information.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_disabilityexams.asp

I have been trying to find the effective date of this discontinued decision.  I am thinking around March 25, 2020.  This should mean any and all DBQs from this date will no longer be accepted but any and all DBQs signed and received prior to this date should be accepted.  Unless something change and VA goes back to accept these DBQs there would be no need or reason to make copies and have them for future use. 

3 hours ago, pete992 said:

DBQs from this date will no longer be accepted

Are we sure about that though? I mean, it can't hurt to have a doctor fill things out in the same method that they review the private contracted doctors exams, right? Maybe you wouldn't be able to submit it as an official DBQ, but as non-government patient treatment records. Just because it isn't an official form, doesn't mean it is disqualifying information, but then again nothing really surprises me anymore.

51 minutes ago, bellrungboxer said:

Are we sure about that though? I mean, it can't hurt to have a doctor fill things out in the same method that they review the private contracted doctors exams, right? Maybe you wouldn't be able to submit it as an official DBQ, but as non-government patient treatment records. Just because it isn't an official form, doesn't mean it is disqualifying information, but then again nothing really surprises me anymore.

"VBA has discontinued the use of public facing Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs).  Originally, public facing DBQs were designed to assist Veterans living overseas to obtain medical evidence in support of their benefit claims where limited options were available.  Today, VA works with contracted providers in more than 30 foreign countries to conduct disability medical examinations."

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_disabilityexams.asp

Since the fact that VA may not consider DBQs as evidence, I don't see a need for a veteran to have their physician fill these form out. 

How To Submit Private Medical Evidence for Your VA Claim
Talk to your healthcare provider (family physician, urgent care visits, any Tricare covered treatment after discharge) and explain that you are filing a claim for VA benefits; discuss the conditions for which you are filing a claim. 

1. If required, complete your healthcare provider’s release of information form, obtain your records, and submit with your claim, or
    2. Complete VA Form 21-4142, Authorization to Disclose Information to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and VA For 21-4142a, General Release for Medical Provider Information to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA); submit completed forms with your claim and VA will attempt to obtain your records through our Private Medical Records contract.  VA Forms 21-4142 and 21-4142a are used in conjunction with each other and both forms must be completed in order to obtain treatment records

I am thinking VA is moving to the VA form 21-4142 and VA form 21-4142a is because a veteran would have to submit these forms and have the VA to request his/her private medical records and VA knows that some physicians and their medical office do not response in a timely manner. This will ensure a denial or at least a delay in decision waiting for these records.  It would be best for a veteran to fill out the VA  form 21-4142 and 21-4142a and attach all pertinent medical evidence and request VA to process their claim without requesting more private treatment records.  Still this could cause some delays because VA will most likely request current treatment records.

1 hour ago, pete992 said:

Since the fact that VA may not consider DBQs as evidence, I don't see a need for a veteran to have their physician fill these form out. 

So I found the VA OIG Inspector's report on DBQs from 18-Feb-2020....the public facing DBQ's are indeed useless:

The OIG found that claims processors awarded benefits based on questionnaires completed by private providers located in a different state or country than where the veterans reside, without evidence that the examinations were completed in person. VBA’s internal controls over public-use questionnaires remain inadequate to prevent the use of telehealth disability benefits questionnaires. As a result, the team identified inaccurate benefit entitlement determinations for 41 of the 81 claims reviewed totaling approximately $613,000 in improper payments for claims completed from April 2017 through September 2018. Public-use disability questionnaires, including telehealth questionnaires, contain an inherent risk of fraud. While VBA has taken some steps to mitigate the risk, this review identified further internal control and procedural deficiencies regarding public-use disability benefits questionnaires. Interviews with VBA staff and managers revealed a reluctance to continue accepting public-use disability benefits questionnaires. This was due to the fraud risk in using the questionnaires, as well as to the difficulty in updating the forms to ensure they remain accurate and usable for benefit entitlement purposes. These factors raise questions about whether public use disability benefits questionnaires remain a viable tool for streamlining the veterans’ claims process.

Source: https://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-19-07119-80.pdf

@pete992 thanks for challenging me to dig deeper...I advise everyone here to read at least the report summary

The reason I asked this question is due to the fact that it should not pertain to all DBQs.  Some veterans actually have their private treating physician fill out and sign their DBQs. As long as the DBQs is properly filled out and signed by a treating physician then this should not be a problem but VA could challenge any DBQs 

9 hours ago, bellrungboxer said:

So I found the VA OIG Inspector's report on DBQs from 18-Feb-2020....the public facing DBQ's are indeed useless:

Source: https://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-19-07119-80.pdf

@pete992 thanks for challenging me to dig deeper...I advise everyone here to read at least the report summary

I had an old VA coworker several months back telling me that they were investigating and cracking down on these attorneys that were basically sending DBQs to doctors all over the country who were also getting kickbacks for rubber stamping DBQs.