Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Rated 100% p&t but have deferred c&p

IA11B
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

Question

I just received my letter from the VA and was rated as 100% p&t. My claim was split into 2 and I have a follow up c&p next week for the one thing deferred. Could my rating change following this c&p? It's actually for something I didn't claim. The c&p I'm going to is for left lower extremity sciatica. A bonus question if anyone can help me with VA math. I am worried that I'm actually not 100% but 90% and don't want to be over paid.  

My ratings:

\-20% back

\-20% right shoulder

\-70% ptsd

\-10% tinnitus

\-30% bilateral pes planus 

\-30% post traumatic headaches

\-10% right arm scar/fragments

\-10% left hand

9 answers to this question

1A11B I used a commercial calculator and came out wit 93+%; but that didn't include your bilateral foot problem. Try https://www.va.gov/disability/about-disability-ratings/ or, you could also try one of the big lawyer groups ex. CC&K and ask them to compute, but be sure they can include the bilateral. You are very close when including the bilateral. What was the claim for for the deferred item you have the upcoming C&P for? Is it an existing disability you are already rated for, or new one?

• Financial Contributor

The bilateral is 10% more correct?  If this is so I did a few and still looks like 94%.  Are your working?  

As Shrek pointed out, the bilateral factor is 10% of the disability. 38CFR 4.26 would result in your ratings, using the VA combination table would be:

70,33, 30,20,20,10,10,10 I believe: Do the math.

7 hours ago, IA11B said:

My ratings:

\-20% back

\-20% right shoulder

\-70% ptsd

\-10% tinnitus

\-30% bilateral pes planus 

\-30% post traumatic headaches

\-10% right arm scar/fragments

\-10% left hand

I never had to figure out the bilateral factor but I think it might be something like this, if I am off someone please correct my VA math.

First the bilateral factors 30% + 10% = 37% rounds up to 40% because it is greater than 35%.  These percentages must be counted as one disability.

Now for the combined rating 70% + 40% = 82%

82% + 30% = 87%

87% + 20% = 90%

90% + 20% = 92%

92% + 10% = 93%

93% + 10% = 94%

94% + 10% = 95 % = 100%

The magic number or chimera is the 95% which VA would then round up to 100% scheduler.  From what I have seen even though the veteran disability may change, VA likely would grant P & T due to the fact that the 100% factor is very hard to lose.  Your disabilities have beat their chart and maxed out. In other words, according to the natural world you are considered 200% without VA's stupid math and without your deferred rating.  

Forgot outside of SMC payments, VA only pays one 100% rating.  If I am wrong off or just crazy your rating decision should explain the breakdown.

Edited by pete992

Yes I am still working. GBArmy the deferred appoinment is for a new condition. During my c&p for my back I assume the doctor noted this. The exam was from qtc and I received a letter a few weeks after the exam saying the deferred condition was asked to be reviewed it was a record only review. So this will actually be the 3rd c&p for this in 2 months. 

• Financial Contributor

The VA does not give up an inch, so for them to rate you at 100% means there must be something more.  I am not sure what is missing but another 10% does get you over the line.  

So to answer your original question, yes, if the C&P is just for the back, it could change. A 10% new rating, combined with your others could move the needle 1%. 

58 minutes ago, IA11B said:

Ok, I planned on going to the deferred c&p. I was just worried about losing 100% p&t for a claim that I didn't file.

Never miss a C & P exam, if you are sick in bed, call the VAMC prior to your C & P exam and inform them.  Send them an Iris letting them know you can't make it and why.

• Like 1

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines