VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Don't know where else to post - vets getting full SS credit

This is from the SS website url below

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/military.html

How You Get Credit For Special Extra Earnings

The information that follows applies only to active duty military service earnings from 1957 through 2001. Here's how the special extra earnings are credited on your record:

Service in 1957 Through 1977

You are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.

Service in 1978 through 2001

For every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year. If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, and didn't complete at least 24 months of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive the additional earnings. Check with Social Security for details.

Question:  How do you know you are getting this credit?  I am receiving SS disability as well as an SC payment.  I was unaware of the above, but it makes sense because vets are given housing and food free rather than through pay which means they accumulate no SS for it (cheap labor).  For me it is the equivalent of another year of SS earnings at a present day equivalent of $23,0000.  The web site says "How You Get Credit For Special Extra Earnings".  I'm assuming it's automatic, but how can you be sure or verify? 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Slanpdx All this site says is Check with Social Security for details. So, i'd send a letter with the article attached and ask to see your detailed values for the years you want to check. Not sure if what your looking for is going to be broken out separately or just lumped in together with your other earnings. Expect it is going to be a while for a response.

just to add, but  a little off topic-

If a veteran has had two periods of service, in same or different branch of service, make sure SSA knows that.

When I took my husband to the SSA office years ago, he had put USMC on the app, and gave them his 214 and 215 (USMC)and was talking to the SSA rep about her son in the Navy and he mentioned he had been in the Navy too-and she immediately asked him to send her his Navy DD 214 as it would add to the wages he earned in the Military ,for a proper SSDI amount.

When my claims were in process, after he died, NARA sent me his US Navy records but stated my RO has his USMC records, and that is where they were supposed to be,as the USN records had nothing to do with his VA claim.

Your question is a very good question, by the way.

Its supposed to be automatic, but I actually agree with the Late President Regan:  Trust but verify.  

This is especially true with our government.  Mr. Regan also said the most dangerous words in the English language are "Im with the government and here to help you."  

In a similar way, the VA is supposed to calculate and send us our retro whenever we get rated.  Im sure glad I "checked" Va's numbers, they were "off" by more than 50,000 dollars.  

I applied for an audit and Im thinking this will fix it, but if it does not, I will be appealing the audit.  

Ditto for social security.  You can order a statement of your earnings (and I recommend you do that) and you can compare their numbers with your numbers and supposedly get that fixed if there are errors.  To do that, go here: https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disability-tips/get-social-security-statement

Edited by broncovet