VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Ebenefits give you an estimated timeline for Higher-Level Reviews like they do for claims?

Rate this question

FlyboyLeRoy

Question

I know ebenefits isnt accurate, but im wondering if they give a proposed timeline for completion like they do for a regular claim. My HLR was filed 3/12/20 and im curios on that and anyone else who filed one too, thanks. 

26 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Ebenefts refers you to va.gov to review claims now and it doesn't show the claim moving through the steps like eBenefits used to.  I've filed HLRs in the past and va.gov seemed to accurately track them.  I filed a supplement back in February and nothing really showed up until the claim was finished.  I just happed to see new rated disabilities on eBenefits so I knew the claim was completed.  

Thanks!

• HadIt.com Elder

FlyboyLeRoy Another way you get an idea is if you go to ebenefits, and get to my documents. You can get a letter (for tax purposes, etc.) that will show if you are disabled and if so, what the combined rating is and rate, etc.. So, if your rating went up and/or your monthly grant is increased, you have a heads up if your claim was approved. If there isn't a change, then you didn't get approval, or, it isn't in the system yet. Another way is, assuming you have direct deposit of your disability check, check tomorrow and see if your amount increased. You can't do it very well on the back pay, if it is deposited also, because it is a lot harder to determine if it is a complex award. But, any new odd ball deposit from the VA would also indicated a back pay (or partial back pay) to you.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I monitored mine via va.gov. They pretty much combine several of the steps together. You don't have the granluar transparency that was present before, but it is always a phone call away (1-800 or VSO) to a certain degree. However, because they don't actually process claims, it is somewhat limited in what they can tell you. I was able to learn if the claim was stuck in the national work queue, if it was sent to the VAMC for records, assigned to the VARO for processing, etc... Honestly, I don't see any reason why this could not have been displayed in full on va.gov other than they haven't coded it in yet or they want to limit the transparency so that you don't bug them every time the status changes. Yes, mine bounced back and forth a lot. The VA did make some bonehead choices along the way that wasted about 7 weeks. Examples include wasting a week asking what form is needed for a CUE (though no form is required at this time) and spending 6 weeks requesting medical records from the VAMC despite them being present in my claims folder.

Just keep in mind that if you call the 1-800 number, some of the people are so new they haven't got a clue on how to find this stuff. 

HLR is mostly only good for disagreeing with a ratings decisions, and not SC.  In most cases, the HLR will just agree with the other person who denied your claim.  I didn't use HLR in my appeal, because it was just stupid that they were denying service connection, and the SOC had blatant lies as if they didn't even bother to look at my file or even consider my service records, which contained a diagnosis for what I was asking for.  I went straight to BVA with a Nexus (because I wanted a doctor to provide them with an opinion and overview of everything for an easy decision) and a complete file ready to be decided, no need for a hearing, just decide my claim I said.  3 months at the BVA it was granted and a couple secondaries remanded because I didn't have the evidence in my va medical records yet when it went there, and the BVA ordered specific things to be done, so the xxxxxxx that blatantly denied my claim just ended up creating more work for themselves and I'll be getting my benefits soon and the secondaries will eventually be awarded since my VA doctors have added the connection to them from my primary in my records.  So avoid the HLR for service connection, go ahead and try it for increases to get a better rating.

But to answer the question:  vets.gov will have status of your HLR and any appeal you file.

Edited by jonnyohio