VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA appointments during corona virus (telehealth)

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I had a doc MH appointment scheduled for April 1.  I called to cancel because, frankly, I didnt want to go to my VA hospital because thats where people who are sick with corona virus are!  

The telephone representative said that I dont have to cancel, that I can do the appoinment by phone.  She put it down to have the doctor call me.  (While I hate phone calls as I can not hear, I do have a close caption phone that works fairly well).  

I thought I would inform Vets that they "dont necessarily" have to cancel their doc appointments, at least some of the time they can be done by phone.  I never had that happen before.  

Does anyone know how to set up telehealth where you speak to your doc via some type of online video?

Edited by broncovet

5 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In most cases, they can do a lot of the appointments via telehealth unless there is a need to do a physical exam or tests. I had two in-person appointments last week, but both were for radiology (stress tests). Can't do those over the phone.

For telehealth, check this site: https://telehealth.va.gov/

I used it for a few appointments last year. You need a webcam or a smart phone so they can visibly see you. I called a support hotline who helped me get everything setup and tested prior to my appointment.
  However, given the current circumstances, I have heard of other veterans simply doing it over the phone. I have a call coming in later today from a NP which will be phone only.

For what it's worth, last week the Birmingham VAMC was a ghost town. The shuttles to and from the parking deck were still running, but limited to 1 person per seat (yay!). Before you get on the bus, they question you and administer some hand sanitizer. Before entering the VAMC, they require you to bring the appt letter or a text message on your phone before being allowed in. I asked what about vets who don't have either. By the end of last week, they had a computer outside to look them up. Again, they ask you the same questions and administer some hand sanitizer. The dining facility and the VA canteen store (mini-AAFES) was still open, but the dining hall was closed. I ended up eating my breakfast in the clinic waiting room. No waits for an elevator or to get into a restroom at all. I literally got in, got taken care of, and was able to leave without any of the usual unnecessary waits.

When I talked with you on the phone a while back, I honestly could not tell you were using a closed captioning device.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had appointment with MH on the 26th March, the therapist called talked to wife and said she would call back and see what I wanted to do   the telehealth /or phone  she never called back to let me know either one?

So I Missed the appointment   I got another appointment on the april  7th with M.H. Phyistrist   I will call and set up the phone call  because I need some medication adjusted.

I believe they call you and let you know what you need to do when you get on your computer as for as telehealth  they need to give the veteran a code  to connect with their computer  kinda like Skype.

I read some Information this am  on this and veterans can use the phone to call there Dr if they have an appointment  and do the appointment that way.  now if your Dr needs to examine you then you need to call and see what they want you to do?

I had an appointment last week at the VA for a second shot of two.  I kept the appointment because they were open and I did not want to get the first shot again.  We have quite a big annex and they were there, except there were few vets there.   I also had an appointment with my psychiatrist through Facetime.  Things are really strange out there.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetquest I got to believe veterans are holding back and trying to reschedule or put off going to the VAMC. We may not be overly concerned about ourselves, but are concerned that we may pick up and pass on disease to our loved ones. That's my concern with me; I don't want to carry home something to my wife who has a compromised immune system. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah I never went to my appointment on the 26th  they canceled it  my therapist called me and  we were going to talk over the phone  but the VA Phones were not working  I rechecked my healthevet notes yesterday and she canceled,.

I have another VA Appointment on the 7th April with my VA Physiatrist and I instant message her today  ask about my appointment on the 7th April   I ask her should I come or stay home? or if she can call me  I told her I been staying at home social distancing .