VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase

Rate this question

AAB

Question

The VA has granted me an increase from 30% to 70% recently. Early February of this year is when DAV put the claim in for me and it was a quick process. As of the 1st of April I have only received April’s compensation and not February or March. Is there anything I should do?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

You can try to call your Regional VSO, but the best thing to do is wait for the paperwork.  If you have it then you are just waiting on the RO to apply the benefit.  Check the letter when you get it and make sure they did not mess up your EED.  The VA loves to play this game when they can!

This seems to be a unique situation, depending on when your VSO submitted your claim and the fact that VA processed it so fast, there may not be a retro payment. VA disability is paid in arrears.

Arrears - Disability payment benefits for a particular month are paid the first business day of the following month. When the first business day of the month falls on a non-business day or a holiday, VA benefits will be paid on the last business day of the preceding month.

Shrek is correct, your rating decision should explain when you get paid.

I agree with Pete and Shrek.

Here is how it works.  Lets say your effective date is Feb 20.   

You dont get paid for Feb.  Your pay BEGINS the first day of the month FOLLOWING the effective date, that is March 1.  

Ok.  So it begins in March.  As Pete pointed out, comp is paid "in arrears", and not in advance like rent.  

So your first check would be April 1, which would cover March.