VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

External DBQ's Phased Out ...

Rate this question

RBrogen

Question

On 4/8/2020 at 10:07 AM, deedub75 said:

The old DBQs didn't even have a place on the forms where the examiner could certify that the exams were done in person.

I was actually denied partly because of this.  The VA said that they valued their C&P doc over mine because it was based on an "in person" exam.  My doc has been treating me for at least 4 years before the denial.  I guess they just assumed it was a by mail DBQ for some reason.

Edited by SPO

The issue probably will be before the CVAC.

I purpose of the DBQ was state the diagnosis/issue and report residuals.

The nexus is the legal medical explanation of causation between the current diagnosis and the military event or service connected disability.

With some disabilities, the DBQ is a secondarily evidence.

Example: Sleep Apnea.

The sleep study summary provides all the information related to the diagnosis.

The DBQ is a shorter summary of the sleep study.

The nexus statement would provide the professional and medical rationale connecting the current diagnosis either secondarily or direct.

I filed for an increase on my 70% PTSD rating in early March as I'm no longer able to work.  My personal psychiatrist completed a DBQ, wrote a letter, and included a GAF report.  I included three years of her medical records with the increase application.  Last week I had a C&P with VES.  It was a sub-15 minute affair via telehealth and the doctor hadn't even reviewed my records yet.  I would certainly hope the VA reviewer who will set the rate would give more credence to the DBQ from the psychiatrist than that "quickee" interview.

JW

• HadIt.com Elder

JWMN89 Do you have a VSO or a lawyer that has the ability tor review with VBMS? It should be sent to the VA within the week by the contractor and be available to your VSO after that, maybe 3 weeks or less.  List all the things now just in case.  If the C&P report (DBQ) is negative on the exam, you can request a new C&P based on "he didn't ask me ..: he failed to document.... what I said; he was wrong/inaccurate on.... Document yout time "it started at "x"' and the exam was over by "y". , write a letter to requesting a new C&P. List all the things that were wrong. You want to get the new exam scheduled before they have a chance to make the decision.

The VA states:

" We are safeguarding against fraud " 

In the past few years, we have seen a growing industry of individuals and companies marketing the service of completing DBQs for Veterans. Some have provided honest, valuable service to Veterans. However, VA has made hundreds of referrals to the VA Office of Inspector General of individuals and companies who are engaged in questionable, even fraudulent, practices that include charging high prices for completing DBQs or submitting DBQs with findings that are vastly different than the other evidence in the Veteran’s claims folder. Also, it is a requirement that DBQs submitted by a private provider must be based on an exam conducted in person. VA’s OIG recently issued an audit report about providers who were completing DBQs for Veterans remotely and recommended that VA revisit its practice of making public-facing DBQs available.

(1.) Does anyone know the regulation/rule, (CFR, M21, case law citation), whereby VA establishes the requirement that,  " DBQs submitted by a private provider must be based on an exam conducted in person " ?

(2.) At what specific price point does the VAOIG determine fraud has been committed once a veteran pays for a private medical examination whereby DBQs were completed?

(3.) Is the above-styled VAOIG report publicly available?

Edited by 63Charlie

May 4th I had an over the phone c&p exam. The examiner said he was looking at my neurologist DBQ that I submitted with my claim in April. So I think the VA is still accepting the DBQ`s from private providers.