VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Wise Guy

Question

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea through the VA. I filed for compensation so I already know it’s going to get denied. After it’s denied, I need to know exactly how to do the supplemental claim for it. I’m already getting benefits for Insomnia which the underlining is Depression and Anxiety. So after the Sleep Apnea is denied, do I just make an appointment with my Sleep Apnea doctor and say, “Hello sir I’m just curious. I’ve been diagnosed with Insomnia which the underlining factors are depression and anxiety. Can you tell me what caused my Sleep Apnea?” Then hopefully he’ll say depression can cause it, Then I’ll say, ok I’ll go with that. Depression caused my Sleep Apnea. Thank you so much sir that’s all I needed.

Everything that is said is recorded in my record anyway. Then from there I’ll file a supplemental claim and say the Sleep Apnea was caused from my depression. Right or is there another way?

Edited by Wise Guy

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 minute ago, Wise Guy said:

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea through the VA. I filed for compensation so I already know it’s going to get denied. After it’s denied, I need to know exactly how to do the supplemental claim for it. I’m already getting benefits for Insomnia which the underlining is Depression and Anxiety. So after the Sleep Apnea is denied, do I just make an appointment with my Sleep Apnea doctor and say, “Hello sir I’m just curious. I’ve been diagnosed with Insomnia which the underlining factors are depression and anxiety. Can you tell me what caused my Sleep Apnea?” Then hopefully he’ll say depression can cause it, Then I’ll say, ok I’ll go with that. Depression caused my Sleep Apnea. Thank you so much sir that’s all I needed.

Everything that is said is recorded in my record anyway. Then from there I’ll file a supplemental claim and say the Sleep Apnea was caused from my depression. Right or is there another way?

Well, until you get a denial, which you haven’t gotten, there is no way to know why you were denied, which you haven’t been, so no one can tell you what you have to counter.

I’m just going off of what my compensation representative told me. Apparently there’s a strong history of people getting denied for Sleep Apnea if there’s no record of sleeping pills or sleep apnea in the military medical records 

What in service evidence did you have? Buddy statements about excessive snoring and or stopping breathing? Admin Counseling’s for sleeping in formation/in class/ during guard duty? Are you within a year of discharge?

If you’d gone secondary You could potentially tie it to meds, Or even if you were diagnosed pre service you could file for it based on a non service connected being aggravated by a service connected disability. Usually osa causes depression, not the other way around, unless you take heavy sedatives for your depression, then sometimes it can be secondary.

Edited by brokensoldier244th