VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi,

Has anyone ever heard of the VA granting an appeal and increasing the percentage but not giving retro?

I know the VA can do whatever they want.

Thank you.

It sounds like you were awarded benefits "upon appeal", and Im guessing this means BVA appeal.  A BVA decision has to be "implemented" by the VARO and sometimes it takes up to a year to do that.  Usually, however, the implementation should happen in a few months.  (Typically 1-4 months).  

If you have not yet received a written decision, they you have little choice but to wait.  

Does the BVA decision address the effective dates.  Sometimes they do, and sometimes they leave that up to the VARO.  

Oh, and, yes, the VARO "completely forgot" to pay me for an awarded issue.  I challenged it with an AUDIT and my retro arrived 3 weeks later.  But, that was after I had received BOTH the BVA and the VARO implementation decisions in the mail.  

It would depend on the circumstances, but it sounds like you should be getting retro and a implementation decision fairly soon.  

Edited by broncovet

My rating was restored.  After two years of stress, worry, putting in for an increase was sadly a waste of time.  No retro and a separate category was ignored.  A travesty and a waste of my time but my proper rating was restored.  Cold comfort.

I read the letter four times and so did my husband.  We dragged out previous years of documents and more questions than answers appeared.

Thank you ALL again.

Restored and ignored...who can ask for anything more?

If you want to redact your name and address, and post the decision, hadit members/moderators may try to help you understand it if you like.  

This said, if you have a written decision that you dispute, you can consider an appeal.  "Most" of us won benefits in appeals.  Yes, I know 2 years sounds like a long time, but I have been in appeals since 2002.  However, I can tell you that "victory is sweeter" when its hard fought, like mine.  

I encourage you to appeal if your increase was denied, this is SOP for VA.  

I agree with Bronco, it is great that VA restored your rating but that or those pending claims could offer you SMC payments.

Sorry this is honestpete992, I already sent Tbird a message to switch and close my pete992 account.  I kept having problems with logging in.