VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA will not give me a CPAP without travel to major area clinic

Rate this topic

As you mentioned, "if" buying a machine is an option, you might consider buying, say, a cpap that is good for travel, so that you have a good spare in the event the new one goes down.  

I liked the idea of a "travel" cpap.  

An alternative is if you are on medicare (part B).  You could probably get treatment locally, to include a cpap, and maybe even at low/no cost to you.  

I may just take you up on help with the adjustment of the cpap air pressure, I wasnt even aware that a user can change that, my docs made it sound like you had to be a doctor and know some sort of code (key) to change it.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet  do you use a Res -Med?  you can adjust those c pap machines but be very careful when you do we are not Dr's and if you set it at the wrong setting  you may not wake up the next morning  or letting a lay person set yours...its best to just take your machine in and let the Dr's set it

Remember you're using the C-pap to help you sleep and stay alive..I would not make adjustments for the above reason.

Most of the VA C-Pap are travel ready machines  they come with a case & strap  and places to put the attachments .

Mine is a  VA issue  Res-Med And it works great at home as well if I travel to family or stay in a Motel.It also came with the case and strap..with the attachments.

This Veteran should call his VAMC Director and get this worked out.

Edited by Buck52

Dream station ... hold the dial button and the ramp button on top for 5 seconds ... it will bring up the therapy menu ... make the adjustments then exit.

What are your current pressures, flex setting, ramp setting, heated tube, humidity?

I am not into all of the we are going to die drama.  Very few die from sleep apnea, more so because of the underlying conditions like me with COPD and blood pressure.  I am very conservative and 100% of the sleep titration studies I have seen get it wrong.  You are in a strange environment and nothing is "normal" about it.  The tech monitors occasionally, changes the pressure and watches the AHI and looks for centrals.  Boom, you're good to go and you're all set he says - well not so fast cowboy, let's get it right for me instead.

• HadIt.com Elder

Great , and your welcome  come back any time

God Bless