VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQ's

Rate this question

Fat

Question

Are they not accepting DBQ's or are they merely removing them for the website?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Here is the thing, VA will use just about any excuse to deny a veterans claim. IMHO, VA will only accept DBQs prior to the discontinued date which is around March 15, 2020.  Any DBQs after that date is a real crap shoot. You actually don't need a DBQ as long as your doctor states that your condition is as least likely as not caused by military service or service connected disability and give a plausible medical rationale.

They will still be used internally, and are still valid as of now from private docs UNLESS its one of a few types.  TBI/Sexual Trauma, PTSD exams can't be done by private docs anyway, so that's not changing. Many private docs do the DBQ and don't include rationale if doing an exam for SC, so the DBQ is invalid already because they didnt submit the 'why' behind it at the same time. If you are using a DBQ for an increase then the rationale for it is already established and you are just using the DBQ to document current treatment/level of disability. 

So, short answer yes, still valid, until such time as an M21 change is made. OIG didnt' make them invalid, but approx 50% of the ones analyzed in their study from several RO's across the country were not done correctly, completely, or provided with rationale at the same time, so they were not valid for rating. That is why so many vets get referred for exams they thought they already did with their private doctors. Its not a plot, its because the doctors don't always fill out the form correctly or provide valid medical reasoning WITH the DBQ. Just having them fill it out and sign it is not enough. 

8 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

Here is the thing, VA will use just about any excuse to deny a veterans claim. IMHO, VA will only accept DBQs prior to the discontinued date which is around March 15, 2020.  Any DBQs after that date is a real crap shoot. You actually don't need a DBQ as long as your doctor states that your condition is as least likely as not caused by military service or service connected disability and give a plausible medical rationale.

Here's the thing, you are not completely correct- the doctor has to say why, with medical rationale, WHY they feel the condition is worsened, or is SC. They can't just say "At least as likely as not....." and call it good. Most denials are due to doctors -private, contracted or VA, not following directions for whatever reason. Raters are not doctors. If its not on the form they can't render an opinion on it. If its not backed up with more than the doctors opinion, it can't be rated either. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Broken, please read my post. what do you think I meant by "give a plausible medical rationale."   By giving a plausible medical rationale simply means to explain how the conditions are related/connected.

Yes I was clarifying for posterity and other readers. I've worked with vets in real life that think just having a signed DBQ is enough. Its not. In any case its rare to come across a claim where the doctor provided enough rationale just in the records to not require a DBQ in order to go to rating. It happens, but its rare. The DBQ tells them exactly what they need to provide (based on statute in M21) in order to be complete enough for rating. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Even VA C & P examiners screw up DBQs, BVA agreed that I have had multiple C & P examiners fail to properly fill out DBQs yet I was denied for them. Even though I had given them all the information the C & P examiners needed.  BVA approved my claim and found that my lay statement was credible due to my treatment records (progress notes) reports.