VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA Appeal / Lawyer Needed or Not?

Rate this question

Vetrequest

Question

Is it recommended that I hire a lawyer for a BVA appeal?  This will be my first time appealing to the BVA.  What occurrs at this hearing?  Who asks me questions?  Is there a role for an attorney at this hearing?  Wanting to know what to expect and how difficult it was for those who've been down this road. 

Thanks..

On 4/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, Vetrequest said:

Wanting to know what to expect

I went to the BVA in 2016. I was represented by the DAV. I didn't have a copy of my c-file because DAV said not to request it that I would lose my place in line. So I didn't have a clue when I got there. I went up a day early and tried to talk about what was going on but the DAV rep wan't interested. During the hearing the DAV rep asked if my conditions had gotten worse. Never mentioned SSDI, neither did the judge. The judge was more interested in my headaches. I didn't know why until after I had gotten my c-file. A NP had screwed up a C&P exam showing nothing physically wrong with me, but that I was taking morphine for headaches. I was talking the morphine for my spine issues. Now I know that the issue of SSDI solely for SC mental issues should have been brought up during the hearing. IMO DAV is worthless and everyone needs to educate themselves about how VA operates. The judge may read through your file but that still may not benefit you.