VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Type 2 diabetes

Rate this question

rtausnret

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi rtausnret Welcome to Hadit. No, it doesn't sound right. Go back to your doc and tell him you need more on a daily basis. I suspect he can make a change order for you. Type 2 is serious stuff. Do you have it service-connected for a disability? Where did you serve and when?

Of course, we dont know the severity of your diabetes, but I agree with GBArmy...it does not make sense.  Contact your doctor, first, and ask him this question.  

If you are dissatisfied with the doctors answer tell us on hadit and we can go into more details on what to do.  

Well, since the VA gave you the supplies, I can assume  you are in the system.

Call the VA nurse hot line and verify what your doctor told you was in fact correct, and if you should check more often, and then ask for more supplies.  Or, if you not in a hurry, go on MyHealthyvet and send a message to your care giver and clarify what you are supposed to be doing.

That's what I would do,

Hamslice

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I am in the system.  Have been in the system many years.  Jacksonville, FL VA is, in my opinion, one of the worst I have encountered.  Spent a couple years living in the Philippines and used the VA there.  Had a heart attack there and the VA covered the cost.  Three stents.  (now have 12).  The main problem I had here was the Jax VA mixed messages when setting me up with the stuff I needed to check my blood.  The nurse spent time with me going over everything I needed to do to check my blood DAILY.  He did a good job and was appreciated.  Close to 3 months and I was running out of supplies I sent the Doctor a secure message that I needed more supplies.  The nurse replied "Apparently that is the policy "50 test strips per 90 days". You may have to stretch it out to every other day.RN, BSN" .  Second reply "I clarified with pharmacy and they state if the veteran is Type 2 diabetic, which you are, then you are authorized 50 test strips per 90 days RN, BSN"  Had they told me that from the start I would have been OK with that.  Have tried to research the web for clarification but could not find anything about the subject there.  There is really n problem... was just trying to clarify if they were giving me good information.  Thanks folks for your help.  R Allen

Well, it sounds like you everything right, or correct.  If it is a VA policy, then, that policy would have to be changed for you to get more.  However, the VA does do thing differently than the general public, so there is that.

My neighbor has/had hep C and the VA told him that they do not do liver transplants after age 60, which I find an age to young to cut bait.

Need them to change the guidelines,

Hamslice

Call the Surgeon General, he looks like a nice enough guy 🙂

• HadIt.com Elder

rtausnret The reason I asked when/where you served is I wanted to know if you served in Vietnam. You did; you didn't offer much background if you have any disabilities on your bio info. Hopefully you realize that Type II is presumptive for Agent Orange, so you  should be covered for that. If you have heart problems, that also is presumptive to AO. CAD as well. Hope you have put in for these.