VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CHAMPVA Required?

Signal6

Question

Recently received 100% P&T, so wife and daughter are eligible for CHAMPVA.   I have health insurance (FEHB) through federal gov retirement for entire family. 

My questions: Is Champva automatic or do you need to enroll family?  Do you have to enroll/accept Champva?   Are there any draw backs to enrolling family in champva if you have other insurance?  I read on the OPM website, FEHB is primary payer, then champva.  

Thanks.  

Edited by Signal6

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Signal6

Congratulation on your Award.100% w/P&T..well done sir.

Yes you need to apply for ChampVA, When you recieve your award packet  the applications for ChampVA should be in there, you need to get them read them they explain how the insurance works and gives you a phone # to call if you have questions, also the 10.000.00 free life insurance applications should have come with your packet  read it and send it in too,

ChampVA  Senior Representative is Glenn Johnson   he is based out of the Denver Office  he can answer any of your questions, he some times is on the hadit podcast radio show  so you can call in to the show when he is going to be the guest  Jbasser and Jerreal cook will let hadit members know  when Glen will be on and post it.

IF THESE APPLICATIONS WERE NOT IN YOUR PACKET CALL THE 1-800#

KEEP ALL THESE PAPERS IN A FOLDER IN YOUR HOME, AND KEEP EVERYTHING THE VA SENDS YOU MAKE EXTRA COPIES FOR SAFE KEEPING, YOU MAY NEED THEM LATER OR YEARS LATER.

Again Congratulations.

I have FEHB through retirement as well and my family has CHAMPVA.  Your FEHB will be the primary and CHAMPVA will be the secondary.  As long as the doctors' offices file primary and secondary insurance (not all of them will file both), you won't have to pay anything out of pocket for you wife and children covered under both.  You should also receive prescription cards so your pharmacy can file primary and secondary.  You can be reimbursed for out of pocket costs as well from CHAMPVA.  

Also, check the effective date of you award for 100% P&T.  If your effective date is in the past, I believe you can file for reimbursements from that date.  

Thank you Buck52 and deedub75.  I received my decision letter, but there was't much info included other than the decision. I was able to download all the award letters from VA ebenefits site to confirm P&T.  The award date was Dec 21, 2019.    Maybe a second package will come, but if not I will call the 800 number.  It is good to know you can have both FEHB and Champva.  I will sign up my family for sure.  

Thanks again for the info.  

Whoa HOSS!!  If you get Tricare you cant get Champva, at least according to this site:

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/318

I dont know which is better, Champva or Tricare.  I do know, that, in my area, Tricare is accepted more.  Its a pretty big retirement area for WPAFB.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet ''According to FEHB and ChampVA'' 

Can you have Tricare and FEHB at the same time?
Employees can count their coverage under TRICARE toward meeting this requirement. However, the employee must be enrolled in an FEHB health plan on the date of retirement to continue coverage. ... Yes, if you are eligible for this TRICARE program, you can suspend your FEHB coverage.

You are right, Buck.  I posted that about Tricare and Champva, which are mutualy exclusive.  Fehb is obviously different than Tricare.  Oh and 

CHAMPVA is not automatic.  You have to apply for it, and be eligible, too.