VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SUCCESS STORY + New Claim Timeline

Rate this question

HeatherW

Question

I am an analyst by trade and extremely OCD.  I tracked my claim and am posting the timelines here in case it could help someone - I know each claim is different but it did help me not obsess so much when I saw the amount of time between each stage.  I noticed eBenefits updated mostly on Fridays and Mondays until the end and then it was updating within minutes.  To be noted - I was medically discharged 23 years ago and given severance pay for Anxiety/Depression and the PEB board language specifically said service connected and permanent.  I think this was tremendously helpful.

12/16/2019 VA Claim Timeline:

Dec 16 – Filed initial claim for digestive issues, anxiety, depression, hearing loss, tinnitus, and foot/back

Jan 2 – Filed second claim for PTSD due to MST

Jan 10 – Both claims combined moved to Initial Review

Jan 20 – Claim moved to Gathering of Evidence

Feb 4, 5, 13 – C&P exams conducted. Anxiety, PTSD went well.  Foot/back/digestive issues Dr. was dismissive and short.  Expect nothing from her.

Feb 20 – Requests closed in eBenefits (MST Report, Exams)

Mar 5 – Exam reports received by VA, moved to Preparation for Decision completion estimated ~ 3/13

Mar 10 – Back to Review of Evidence

Mar 13 – Back to Gathering of Evidence completion estimated >6/2020.  VA asks for exam clarification.

Mar 25 – Back to Under Review completion pushed to 07/2020 – 09/2020

Mar 25 – Back to Gathering of Evidence completion 06/2020 – 09/2020, 2nd request for clarification sent, VA conducts phone call with examiner.

Mar 25 – Exam requested for digestive disorder.  QTC site shows appointments are being scheduled. 

Mar 26 – Called and seems no exam is needed?  Confused.

Mar 27 – Digestive disorder relabeled as secondary to anxiety.  All conditions re-racked and stacked.  EBenefits seems to update on Fridays.

Mar 30 – VA rater asked Dr. Peak to adjust her IMO based on response from PTSD examiner who said digestive disorder was secondary to anxiety.  If this happens she still likely will rate me at 0%.  Intend to file Supplemental Claim asking for GI exam based on Dr. Peak being an occupational medicine Dr.  Also will submit additional records from private GI Dr.  First step is getting it SC.

Apr 3 – Moved forward to Preparation for Decision completion estimated 4/11 – 4/22.  Dr. Peak responded Apr 2.

Apr 6 – Back to Review of Evidence completion estimated 4/15 – 4/28.  Probably because I added the form to get GI records.  Pushed the button asking for a claim decision.  One condition had been deferred (likely digestive) but supposedly isn’t anymore according to Peggy.

Apr 10 – Back to Gathering of Evidence.  Clarifying information requested from PTSD Dr (conflicting information).  Exam request entered.  Request 4 needs signature from March 25.

Apr 13 – Supposedly request from Mar 25 and Apr 10 is complete and sent back to VA.

Apr 15 – Another exam request for clarification entered, PTSD Dr responded to the wrong one.  Response is allegedly completed and VA has no more pending requests.

Apr 15 – Moved forward to Preparation for Decision completion estimated 4/23 – 5/4.

Apr 16 – Moved forward to Pending Decision Approval completion estimated 4/18 – 4/22.

Apr 16 – New claim showed up in eBenefits “Verification of DSP amount”.  Completion 8/20 – 12/30.  This implies they awarded me benefits for a condition that I got severance pay for.  Moved from Under Review to Gathering of Evidence within minutes.

Apr 16 – Moved forward to Preparation for Notification completion estimated 4/17 – 4/19.

Apr 16 – Claim complete, awarded 70%!  They rolled up the digestive condition and other symptoms into Anxiety/Depression.  PTSD was considered not SC even though I had an MST - suspect Anxiety/Depression rated higher and was easier to rate considering my service records and PEB stated Anxiety/Depression and explicitly said service connected and permanent. 

Edited by HeatherW

1 answer to this question