VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help! how to find a veteran friendly doctor near me

Rate this question

Michvetinfla

Question

My situation is different in the sense that I am and have been homeless many years and do not have almost any medical documents or evidence as I have not had insurance. So I have no idea how to find a doctor who will work with me, on my claim and establishing all the connections Etc. I live Central Florida

Or should I just go to the VA in file for an appointment to be used on my claim?
 ty

Edited by Michvetinfla
add info

5 answers to this question

I would definitely get enrolled in VA medical because if you can't afford a doctor or they won't work with you on VA stuff (ive not found one that won't if you ask and tell them what you need them to do, but others will disagree based on their own experiences)  and it becomes a lot easier to request digitally. If you go with a private doctor, the records can still be requested but it takes longer to get because you are depending on the doctor to send them, and when requesting medical records from private medical an automatic suspense date (pause on working your case until information is received) is entered. There are suspense dates for VA records requests, too, but they take less time because the VSR's have to go through fewer hoops to get them, and the transit time for them is less since they are likely already digitized and just have to be electronically sent. 

• Lead Moderator

After seeing a doctor at the VA you need to get your claim started.  You can go to Ebenefits or you can get a VSO to help you out and get it filed.  In there are going to be some questions about homelessness and other issues you might have to get this fast tracked.  I would get it filed ASAP and get the ball rolling on this.  Also in your area there are probably place who serve Vets and you can reach out to them to help you find a place to stay and help you get to places.

There is help out there!  Don't stop looking until you find what you need.  We are here to help in any way we can! 

Does the VAMC near you know you are homeless?   They should!  You cant expect much help from them "if you dont ask" for it. 

Make sure they know.  There ARE some options, "assuming" you dont want to continue to be homeless.  For example, VA pension is somewhat easy to get "if" you served at the right time(s) and are low income.  https://www.va.gov/pension/

This amounts to "about" 1200 per month if you have zero income and qualify.  (based on you being a "WARTIME" vETERAN.  You can collect pension "while you are waiting" for VA compensation..like I did. 

Edited by broncovet

Anybody heard of Global Vets Consulting?  I heard they do great work helping veterans get their VA disability increases.    I think their site has something on it about Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) and IMO-Nexus. You'll need a company who's experience and knows the paperwork process, and who has access to a network of medical providers. That's what I heard and I don't know personally but its probably worth checking them out.

Here's Global Vets Consulting if anyone is interested and please comment back to the forum and lets know what you found out, good, bad or ugly.

Global Vets Consulting

Veteran for life

• HadIt.com Elder

Michvetinfla

It would help us help you if we know what your claiming?

did you get an injury or a diseases while in the military?

when we file a claim VA HAS THE DUTY TO ASSIST US VETERANS WHEN WE DO FILE A CLAIM .

BUT THEY SOMETIMES DON'T DO THAT  AND THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO SEND OFF FOR YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS AND YOUR SERVICE TREATMENT RECORDS WHILE YOU WERE IN THE MILITARY.

it don't matter how long ago that was., YOU NEED THESE RECORDS FOR A Dr to read and give his/her opinion if what your claiming is likely as not related to your old injury or disease while you were in the military active duty  or NG  ect,,ect,,, and go from there.

Edited by Buck52