VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ridiculous IMO fees

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

I know that Dr. Bash is well respected on this forum, so I sought out his service to write me an IMO for my prostrate cancer .  He took a long time to get up with me , even failing to call me after a call was scheduled.  I had to email him again, and request another call. He was never specific as to the cost of his services. I used Dr. Anise's services in the past and his fees for two IMO's were $1500, in fact that is what he charges everyone. Another doctor Dr. Seiter has his fees listed on his web site and his services for an IMO are $500. Dr. Bash's secretary called me a few minutes ago and quoted me $10,000 for an IMO. She wanted $3000 down, and to arrange a payment plan.  I informed her the the fee was ridiculous, explaining what Dr. Anise charged me in the past and what Dr. Seiter charges. She asked me what did I think was a fair fee. I refused to answer her telling her that I though that Dr. Bass was  trying to get rich on the back of veterans.  Maybe my opinion of Dr. Bash is wrong, I sure hope so.   If anyone wants to get an IMO check out the following link from Watchdog.org , it list many doctors willing to provide IMO's.

https://www.vawatchdog.org/imo-ime-medical-opinions-exams.html

22 hours ago, MrPain7 said:

El Train:  if your already a 100% why would you need a IMO or Dr.bash ???

I wasn't always 100%.  I got the IME's for contentions I knew the VA was sure to deny (and they did on a few of them even with IME's).  I went from 60% to 100% P&T only after submitting my IME's for new contentions and increases on current claims.  Hope my explanation is clear.  TBI was one of the new claims is where I have a hard time finding proper explanations.  Not knowing the right word or term, etc.

Even at 100% a veteran may find himself in need of additional IOMs and IMEs when trying to obtain various SMC benefits. Only after being granted SMC "O" and R-1 did I drop my access to outside doctors by canceling my medicare insurance. I found that most outside doctors are willing to write an IMO after doing a IME,  paid for by medicare in the required annual physical exam, if the request did not involve elaborate speculation. I don't mind paying a reasonable price or fee for anything, but I do mind somebody taking advantage of a situation and trying to rip me off! At the time of my BVA grant for chloracne, I had thirteen IMEs and IMOs. The BVA judge considered that overwhelming evidence, and I didn't owe anybody $10,000 out of my backpay.