• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Cavman

Ssd Taxable Income

Is this right that we have to pay taxes on SSD if we file with our wife as married filing jointly? Also, if you are married and file separately do you have to claim your SSD?

Cavman

Guest rickb54
Is this right that we have to pay taxes on SSD if we file with our wife as married filing jointly? Also, if you are married and file separately do you have to claim your SSD?

Cavman

If your wife works chances are your SSD is taxable... it will depend on how much she is making.

I don't think(but I am not sure) filing seperately will get you around the tax, plus if you have to pay any tax, it is likely to cost more by filing seperately. If you are retired military you should be able to go on base and use the free tax filing service, they should be able to answer the question with some authority.

Oh.. you can also download all the tax forms and tax instructions for the irs.... that is were I used to get my tax stuff..cause I used to file my own taxes....

Edited by rickb54

SSD is taxable once you meet a 32,000 threshold when married I think it is after 16,000. In either case it is when any income including the Social Security goes over.

SSD is taxable once you meet a 32,000 threshold when married I think it is after 16,000. In either case it is when any income including the Social Security goes over.

what about comp. i heard it was not to be included in the total ... like comp. is ? and then SSD is ? do you have to add the comp to the figure or not????? am i wrong?

VA Comp is not taxable and not reportable to the IRS

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - Please buy a mug or a membership
      had to move to a dedicated server this month and our costs have gone up, if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 15 replies
    • Permanent and Total from cck-law..com
      1:10 What is Permanent and Total Disability?

2:05 Conditions that automatically receive a permanent and total rating (P&T)

2:32 Conditions less likely to receive P&T

4:29 How to find out if your VA rating is permanent

6:03 Is there a VA form to apply for Perm and Total status?

6:39 Viewer Question: If you have permanent and total Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), are you automatically entitled to P&T disability at the VA?

8:03 If you receive Total Disability for Individual Unemployability (TDIU), are you permanent and total?

8:26 The advantages of having Permanent and Total VA Disability Other Protections from VA Rating Reductions

10:26 Stabilized Ratings

11:26 Continuous Ratings

12:57 What to do if VA proposes a rating reduction

16:03 Final Thoughts & Tips

https://cck-law.com/news/newsfaq-friday-permanent-and-total-pt-disability/

• 8 replies
    • Veteran Population by State
      https://hadit.com/veteran-population-by-state/

veterans-statistics-by-state-2018.pdf
      • 0 replies
    • 10 Tips to Help You Keep the Compensation and Pension Exam (C&P exam) in Perspective
      Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog

I encouraged you to keep the exam in perspective. What is that Perspective? Honestly, it comes down to recognizing that the purpose of the C&P Exam is NOT to convince the doctor that your injury is service connected, but to let him or her conduct their exam and draw their conclusion. In the end, your current disability either is or is not related to military service.  Regardless what the doctor says, what the VA Rater says, the limitations or symptoms either are, or are not, related to your time in service.

A doctor’s opinion can’t change what is or is not.  It’s just another piece in the puzzle of proof. And the C&P Exam is just another piece in that puzzle.  It is not the only piece – but if we view it as such, we often make our claims harder than they have to be.  And we certainly make them more stressful.

#1 Every C&P Exam has 2 Goals.

The first goal is to have the doctor confirm that your injury, disability, or limitations are related to your military service – to prove the Nexus Pillar – and/or to establish the degree you are disabled – the Impairment Pillar. The second goal is to draw out the  “evidentiary gap” in your claim through a C&P exam. The evidentiary gap is the difference between what is IN the record, and how the VA SEES what is in the record. If you are denied service connection, it is almost always because of an evidentiary gap – and rather than throwing a haystack at the RO and then yelling at the VA for not finding the needle – let the Examiner tell you what is missing by reading his/her opinion.

They tell you what is missing by what they focus hardest on. The key is NOT to provide excessive amounts of information in your C&P exam – keep your answers short, and “make” the doctor get into your file to review the evidence. It is THEIR report which shows the evidentiary gap – not your statements in the C&P.  Which brings us to the next tip….

#2: Answer only the questions the doctor asks.

If the doc asks “How are you doing”, and you throw the entire history of your claim at her over the next 15 minutes, what happens? She zones out. She doesn’t hear what you are saying, and may find it hard to care about what you are saying. I get emails every day – some are 8-9 pages of micro-detailed histories of a VA Claim. It’s hard to read them.  It’s hard to understand them.  It’s hard to pick up the phone and call that person because I know I’m going to get more facts that I don’t need. Listen, I’m really good at doing this work, and while there are some real shit-bird doctors out there, there are some really good ones.  They know how to call out the information they need, to get the facts to understand the situation. So just answer the question you are asked – not the question that you want to answer. But when you do answer the question, follow Tip #3

Continue Reading Here
      • 0 replies
    • C-File: Requesting Your VA Claims Folder
      VA Claims Folders, the infamous C-File We can not stress enough how important it is to: View your VA Claims Folder at the Veterans Affairs regional office (find your Regional VA Office here) Call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 and request an appointment to view your C-File (VA Claims Folder).

Ensure that all the records in your VA Claims Folder or C-File are yours.
      • 1 reply
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines