VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd Taxable Income

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

Is this right that we have to pay taxes on SSD if we file with our wife as married filing jointly? Also, if you are married and file separately do you have to claim your SSD?

Cavman

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest rickb54
Is this right that we have to pay taxes on SSD if we file with our wife as married filing jointly? Also, if you are married and file separately do you have to claim your SSD?

Cavman

If your wife works chances are your SSD is taxable... it will depend on how much she is making.

I don't think(but I am not sure) filing seperately will get you around the tax, plus if you have to pay any tax, it is likely to cost more by filing seperately. If you are retired military you should be able to go on base and use the free tax filing service, they should be able to answer the question with some authority.

Oh.. you can also download all the tax forms and tax instructions for the irs.... that is were I used to get my tax stuff..cause I used to file my own taxes....

Edited by rickb54

• HadIt.com Elder

SSD is taxable once you meet a 32,000 threshold when married I think it is after 16,000. In either case it is when any income including the Social Security goes over.

SSD is taxable once you meet a 32,000 threshold when married I think it is after 16,000. In either case it is when any income including the Social Security goes over.

what about comp. i heard it was not to be included in the total ... like comp. is ? and then SSD is ? do you have to add the comp to the figure or not????? am i wrong?

If you rmarried filing jointly your annual Social Security divided in half is taxable if your total EARNED income exceeds 32K. If your filing seperately, your annual Social Security is divided in half and is taxable if your EARNED income exceeds 25K.

Patrick