Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

unconfirmed skin diagnose ? is it caused by A.O.?

Buck52
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

I have been going round and round with these VA Dr,s because they have diagnose me for eczema, 3 itchy circles on my lower back,,they ruled out lymes disease and some other disease. but is similar in comparison to other skin disease  

before they did diagnose me for eczema ,they took two biopsies and sent it in  and it came back twice unconfirmed diagnoses..

.I ask about a A.O. Claim under the nehmer rule since I was a Vietnam Vet boots on the ground two tours  or extended stay...anyway I have been asking these Dr what is it that is on my lower back? that will not go away or clear up?  give me a diagnose.?

.the intern/resident diagnose it as eczema  and give me two different types of creams/ointments to use to keep the itching down.

I claim its got to be something from the A.O. But these Dr's will not confirm that?

..this has been going on now over 7/8 years ago  it just came up on my back about 8 years ago or so  its all in my medical records.

but since this bogus diagnose  of eczema is not on the A.O. List  grrrrrr  no claim can be filed 

I have ask them if it could be caused by A.O.   They say they don't know? most of the Dr's that have examine me and took biopsies are Residents students  at one point during my examination by one of the VA Dr called in 4 other Dr's to have these resident students look at my skin..I felt like I was on display as a guinea pig.

I still do not believe this is eczema ...But since I can't afford a private Dr  I am stuck as for as filing a claim.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

13 answers to this question

Buck, chloracne is the only AO presumptive skin disease :

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/chloracne.asp

The only vet I know who ever won SC for chloracne due to AO is James Scripps whose BVA win is here at hadit under a search and he also did many Podcast radio shows.

( and his was the FIRST CONUS AO award)

Yes, I did win for Chloracne.  I know many veterans but I only know of one more Chloracne win. If it has been more than one year since your last AO exposure, the claim must be based upon a direct exposure claim. A presumption of exposure will not fly after the one year period is over.

Sounds like me after my Cuts turned to like scales and wouldn’t heal. Now with the treatment the Va gave me in left with these red marks all over my arms and legs from the steroid creams but they said it’s not exzema it’s psoriasis vulgaris. Wtf new to me. Do those symptoms sound similar 

image.jpg

On 6/8/2020 at 7:36 PM, jamescripps2 said:

Yes, I did win for Chloracne.  I know many veterans but I only know of one more Chloracne win. If it has been more than one year since your last AO exposure, the claim must be based upon a direct exposure claim. A presumption of exposure will not fly after the one year period is over.

James it as been 48 years since I left the jungles of Vietnam. once we were on a patrol mission, there was planes flying over head spraying that crap , they were not directly over us  but we could see them spaying that A.O, Chemical miles away.

..We all were green to the fact to A.O. Back then  and just never thought about it causing us medical problems years down the road WE WERE NOT TOLD...until later .

I did a complete A.O. EXAM BACK IN 1999 at the Dallas VAMC   I was cleared of any A.O. Related diseases  but was put in the A.O. Registry   for what its worth.

They are other diseases that A.O. Causes not on the VA List , but we can't prove it ....many many Veterans have died because of it and were never compensated for it.  and that's and that's a damn shame.

Buck There is a bill in the House of Rep. #566, AO Exposure Fairness Act that aims to remove the 1 yr time period from leaving Vietnam and claiming a cloracne disability. I think it is still active. There is a veteran that has been fighting the fight tor remove the time restrictions for many years and I have met him a few times. If you are interested, message me and I could give you his contact #. My thinking he might have some insight on getting a good diagnosis first; it isn't going to be something a regular dermatologist is going to ID. But, I also believe it is only a 10% disability, so I don't know how much that would help you personally.

Buck, in no way am I trying to discourage you.  You can still win a claim for Chloracne, you just have to present and prosecute a direct exposure case. You cannot use the presumption of exposure, which only covers one year from your last exposure. I won for Chloracne thirty years after my last exposure. You just need to show the locations where you served in country and then show how much AO was used in that area. You will need to furnish a nexus letter and a present day diagnosis of Chloracne. Most probably it would be a 0% or 10% award, but then there is the involvement of a clothing allowance to be considered. The medication, Benzoyl Peroxide body wash, is prescribed to me, along with a skin cream that that contains Benzoyl Peroxide, and it is known to destroy clothing. If you suspect Chloracne as being your skin disease, request a second AO exam to get the diagnosis and ask the examiner for a nexus letter. A C&P exam should also support your Chloracne claim. I would most defiantly go for it.

Thanks James  and GB

I KNOW IWON'T GET ANY MORE $$$ I could file a sleep apnea claim secondary to my PTSD MEDS and get a 50% rating  because I use a NECESSARY  VA prescribe C-pap  but I don't won't to mess with that ,

this skin problem on my back I need the special soaps/cleaners and ointments/creams  some of these are very expensive if we had to buy them..they biopsy this twice and both times the lab they sent it off too came back unable to make a diagnose??

.  so I ask one of the young interns doing his residency  what  I had on my back   he said well we don't know but  he will say its a type of  excema 

Buck Dumb question: you are rated over 50% s-c, if the VA prescribes the creams and other meds, why aren't they paid for by the VA? 

GB THEY USUALLY ARE ,

BUT WHAT THEY SEND ME IS NOT DOING ANY GOOD  AND i HAVE MENTION THIS TO THEM TIME AND TIME AGAIN,

MY THINKING AND REASONS IS

IF THERE'S NOT A DIAGNOSES OF A SPECIFIC CONDITION  THEN THE VETERAN CAN'T ASK OR REQUEST A SPECIFIC MEDICINE, WE ONLY GET WHAT THEY WILL GIVE US OR WHAT THEY THINK WE NEED.

FOR THE FEW VETERANS THAT HAVE A DIAGNOSE FOR A SKIN CONDITION  (Chloracne)  THEY ARE SENT THE SPECIAL CREAMS AND CLEANERS  VS   A VETERAN THAT DON'T HAVE THE SKIN CONDITION DIAGNOSED  WON'T GET THESE.

WHY ITS LIKE THAT?  I HAVE NO CLUE  ITS THE GOVERNMENT FOR YOU.

GB....Not sure if you knew this or not but the more ratings a veteran has rather or not he gets anymore compensation but the more ratings a veteran has service connected  it makes it that much harder for them to reduce the veteran to under the 100% ....> my reason is to get the proper meds.

Edited by Buck52

Buck I didn't think about the diagnosis being the driver for specific meds; very good point. Gotcha on the number of ratings you have; it also provides a little more chance for DIC for your spouse  if S-C disability caused or contributed to your death. Very important not to be overlooked.You got some major obstacles to overcome. The 1 year limitation on claim submittal (for presumptive), and getting an accurate diagnosis. What I talked about in the prior post though I believe the bill have a good chance to go thru. My Congressman has invested a lot of energy over several  years to get the time limitation removed from the AO presumptive requirements. I believe it will be included in some future legislation. How far into the future, though is anyone's guess.

Roger That    G B

Buck, the only medication that will stop the itching caused by Chloracne is Clobetasol Propionate Cream, USP, 0.05%. It don't treat the chloracne but it provides temporary relief for the god awful itching, and it is quick acting and will allow you to get some sleep. Ask your PC or Dermatology to prescribe it for you.

Due to my Chloracne, diabetes, and the medications thereof, I almost died on the first of July. Fifty four years after my last exposure ole AO came around for one more pass at me. It caused Forniers Gangrene in my lower abdomen. During emergency surgery they cut out 41 lbs of dead tissue. They only gave me a 4.74 chance to live through the procedure, but I made it!.

Sorry to hear about that James, I can only imagine what you had to go through, but hopefully they got it all.

you know what they say,

its hard to keep a good man down.

I will ask my VA Dermatologist if he can get me some of that 

Chloracne is Clobetasol Propionate Cream USO. 0.05% 

I Appreciate it James.

Edited by Buck52

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines