Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Separation pay


Jake40
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

 

spacer.png

Question

I was medboarded in 2013 and during the process we all worked with Peblos and received our va rating while still enlisted through out the medboard process. I received disability separation pay too also. I was 10% dod and 80% va. Now I’m 100%p&t from a recent increase. And now 7 years later they say I must pay it back. They never once told us we had to pay it back. Has anyone else dealt with this bs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

This is happening to me as we speak.  I was medically discharged in 1997 - got severance pay for depression.  I recently filed a claim in December and was awarded 70% for depression in April.  I knew they would recoup the severance pay because it's double dipping if the condition you got the pay for is exactly the same condition you get VA compensation for.  They gave me 3 months of backpay and then sent me a letter saying they will start recouping the money in August 2020 and complete the recoupment in April 2021.

 

Did your increase include a different diagnosis?  They only recoup if the diagnosis code is exactly the same as what you were given severance pay for.  Maybe the diagnostic code has been changed?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Financial Contributor

Why are they saying they want you to pay back your disability pay?  I have seen mention of this before, but it typically does not hold water.  Can you post the letter but redact your personal information?

Disability pay is not something you have to pay back.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Doesn't sound correct; post your letter as Shreknsuggests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Unfortunately it is the law but don't take my word for it.

Veterans Law

Separation Pay & VA Disability Compensation

July 14, 2017
 
I received a letter saying that separation pay will soon be deducted from my VA disability compensation. Can VA really do this?
Unfortunately, in most cases the answer is ‘yes.’ VA is legally required to withhold your disability compensation pay if you received separation pay when you separated from the military and then were later awarded disability compensation. This includes involuntary or voluntary separation pay, severance pay, and what was formerly called “readjustment pay” (now included under severance pay). There are some exceptions to this rule for Disability Severance Pay (“DSP”) (see questions below). VA uses the term recoupment to describe this process of deducting separation pay from other benefits (like disability compensation or retirement pay).
 

I served in a combat zone and got Disability Severance Pay. Will VA recoup my DSP?

It depends on when you were separated from service. Thanks to the passage of a Public Law on the issue, VA is not allowed to recoup disability severance pay from VA disability compensation if you…

  • Separated from service on or after January 28, 2008, and
  • Incurred the disability for which you received the disability severance pay in the line of duty in a combat zone or during combat-related operations.

Meeting the second requirement requires official recognition that you were in a combat zone and were harmed in an armed conflict. DoD (not VA) decides whether a disability was incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone or during combat-related operations. This information is usually included in the decision letter regarding your disability severance pay.

I have multiple service-connected disabilities, but I only received Disability Severance Pay for one? How much will VA recoup?

When you receive disability severance pay, DoD will specify which disability (or disabilities) the disability severance pay is intended to cover. If you are later granted service connection for disabilities that are not related to your disability severance pay, VA is not allowed to withhold more than the amount to which you are entitled based on the non-severance-pay disability/disabilities. Essentially, VA can’t recoup the disability severance pay from the money you get for disabilities that were service connected after separation.

Can I get a waiver for the recoupment (like I can with debt owed to VA)?

Unfortunately, VA debt is different from VA recoupment and VA will not consider waivers for separation pay recoupment.

https://cck-law.com/blog/separation-pay-va-disability-compensation/

 

Edited by pacmanx1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator
15 hours ago, Jake40 said:

I was medboarded in 2013 and during the process we all worked with Peblos and received our va rating while still enlisted through out the medboard process. I received disability separation pay too also. I was 10% dod and 80% va. Now I’m 100%p&t from a recent increase. And now 7 years later they say I must pay it back. They never once told us we had to pay it back. Has anyone else dealt with this bs?

I believe you can request this recoupment waiver based on the time limits that have occured 7 years late, they  over looked this time  and should have settle this within 2 years after seperation  and you can also mention it will be a hardship for you and your family to pay this back after7  years.

I read something like this a few years ago  but I can't remember where or what it was I read about it? but it was how to not have to pay recoupment pay after so many years have passed and your getting VA SC Disability... this means  that your disabled and they can't touch your disability pay  other than if they prove fraud or you shown improvement  but this is for the 1st  consecutive ten years  after that  that can't get your sc disability pay  other than they prove fraud against you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Yes  recheck that Diagnostic code .  good point Heather W

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

They recouped my separation pay from my VA comp.  They took all of it from 2008 till 2014, until I had paid back about $47,000.00.  I did not have to pay back the taxes that they took out when they paid me my separation pay.  However, I did get my taxes back.

FWIW,

Hamslice

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 4/27/2020 at 5:41 AM, Buck52 said:

Yes  recheck that Diagnostic code .  good point Heather W

Diagnostic code??

i don’t understand 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Financial Contributor

yes in your decision you will have a diagnostic code.  Make sure it is the same as the one they are trying to get recouped for as the VA will try anything.  Also Buck and others have given some good advice to fight this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 4/26/2020 at 6:34 AM, pacmanx1 said:

Unfortunately it is the law but don't take my word for it.

Veterans Law

Separation Pay & VA Disability Compensation

July 14, 2017
 
I received a letter saying that separation pay will soon be deducted from my VA disability compensation. Can VA really do this?
Unfortunately, in most cases the answer is ‘yes.’ VA is legally required to withhold your disability compensation pay if you received separation pay when you separated from the military and then were later awarded disability compensation. This includes involuntary or voluntary separation pay, severance pay, and what was formerly called “readjustment pay” (now included under severance pay). There are some exceptions to this rule for Disability Severance Pay (“DSP”) (see questions below). VA uses the term recoupment to describe this process of deducting separation pay from other benefits (like disability compensation or retirement pay).
 

I served in a combat zone and got Disability Severance Pay. Will VA recoup my DSP?

It depends on when you were separated from service. Thanks to the passage of a Public Law on the issue, VA is not allowed to recoup disability severance pay from VA disability compensation if you…

  • Separated from service on or after January 28, 2008, and
  • Incurred the disability for which you received the disability severance pay in the line of duty in a combat zone or during combat-related operations.

Meeting the second requirement requires official recognition that you were in a combat zone and were harmed in an armed conflict. DoD (not VA) decides whether a disability was incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone or during combat-related operations. This information is usually included in the decision letter regarding your disability severance pay.

I have multiple service-connected disabilities, but I only received Disability Severance Pay for one? How much will VA recoup?

When you receive disability severance pay, DoD will specify which disability (or disabilities) the disability severance pay is intended to cover. If you are later granted service connection for disabilities that are not related to your disability severance pay, VA is not allowed to withhold more than the amount to which you are entitled based on the non-severance-pay disability/disabilities. Essentially, VA can’t recoup the disability severance pay from the money you get for disabilities that were service connected after separation.

Can I get a waiver for the recoupment (like I can with debt owed to VA)?

Unfortunately, VA debt is different from VA recoupment and VA will not consider waivers for separation pay recoupment.

https://cck-law.com/blog/separation-pay-va-disability-compensation/

 

Doesn’t this below apply to my case.

E858E57A-99FA-47A2-932F-8798ACF15BFF.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

It could be but that scenario is talking about an original claim in which there’s 50% severance pay disability and a 100% non-severance pay disability. 
 

An original claim would be the very first claim submitted and not any subsequent claims. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

As you can see this is very complicated and it really depends on what and how VA is recouping your severance pay.  I understand that VA should be collecting a portion of your 100% minus any taxes. Yes, I understand that VA funds are not taxed but when I was given my severance pay I was taxed and had to inform VA not to collect the tax that I never received from my severance pay.  Not sure what your DSP was for, not sure what amount VA is collecting, not sure if you are considered a combat zone veteran. If you meet the combat zone veteran criteria, you may have a chance but believe me the government will try their best to get their money back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 5/13/2020 at 12:25 PM, deedub75 said:

It could be but that scenario is talking about an original claim in which there’s 50% severance pay disability and a 100% non-severance pay disability. 
 

An original claim would be the very first claim submitted and not any subsequent claims. 

 

On 5/13/2020 at 12:25 PM, deedub75 said:

It could be but that scenario is talking about an original claim in which there’s 50% severance pay disability and a 100% non-severance pay disability. 
 

An original claim would be the very first claim submitted and not any subsequent claims. 

I have this, 

 

On 5/13/2020 at 12:25 PM, deedub75 said:

It could be but that scenario is talking about an original claim in which there’s 50% severance pay disability and a 100% non-severance pay disability. 
 

An original claim would be the very first claim submitted and not any subsequent claims. 

I have this

32E5A88F-EAD9-4351-A217-AD5BAA69FDD9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 4/26/2020 at 6:34 AM, pacmanx1 said:

Unfortunately it is the law but don't take my word for it.

Veterans Law

Separation Pay & VA Disability Compensation

July 14, 2017
 
I received a letter saying that separation pay will soon be deducted from my VA disability compensation. Can VA really do this?
Unfortunately, in most cases the answer is ‘yes.’ VA is legally required to withhold your disability compensation pay if you received separation pay when you separated from the military and then were later awarded disability compensation. This includes involuntary or voluntary separation pay, severance pay, and what was formerly called “readjustment pay” (now included under severance pay). There are some exceptions to this rule for Disability Severance Pay (“DSP”) (see questions below). VA uses the term recoupment to describe this process of deducting separation pay from other benefits (like disability compensation or retirement pay).
 

I served in a combat zone and got Disability Severance Pay. Will VA recoup my DSP?

It depends on when you were separated from service. Thanks to the passage of a Public Law on the issue, VA is not allowed to recoup disability severance pay from VA disability compensation if you…

  • Separated from service on or after January 28, 2008, and
  • Incurred the disability for which you received the disability severance pay in the line of duty in a combat zone or during combat-related operations.

Meeting the second requirement requires official recognition that you were in a combat zone and were harmed in an armed conflict. DoD (not VA) decides whether a disability was incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone or during combat-related operations. This information is usually included in the decision letter regarding your disability severance pay.

I have multiple service-connected disabilities, but I only received Disability Severance Pay for one? How much will VA recoup?

When you receive disability severance pay, DoD will specify which disability (or disabilities) the disability severance pay is intended to cover. If you are later granted service connection for disabilities that are not related to your disability severance pay, VA is not allowed to withhold more than the amount to which you are entitled based on the non-severance-pay disability/disabilities. Essentially, VA can’t recoup the disability severance pay from the money you get for disabilities that were service connected after separation.

Can I get a waiver for the recoupment (like I can with debt owed to VA)?

Unfortunately, VA debt is different from VA recoupment and VA will not consider waivers for separation pay recoupment.

https://cck-law.com/blog/separation-pay-va-disability-compensation/

 

I was injured in combat training doesn’t that mean I don’t have to pay it back.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

I am thinking no you don't have to pay it back if your an injured combat veteran during a war/conflict operation  or injured during a combat training exercise. 

check this link out  : Source Strategic Veteran

https://strategicveteran.org/blog/do-you-owe-your-severance-pay-back-to-the-va/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Not knowing the whole story of what you are service connected for and how you were service connected and what your rating decision says about your disability and the recoupment. If I were you I would be contacting either VA or DFAS to ensure I was getting the whole story. We can say this or that and it looks like something is off and you shouldn't have to pay but we don't have all the facts.

https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Benefit-Library/Federal-Benefits/DoD-Disability-Severance-Pay-?serv=122

https://www.dfas.mil/customerservice/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 4/27/2020 at 4:56 AM, HeatherW said:

This is happening to me as we speak.  I was medically discharged in 1997 - got severance pay for depression.  I recently filed a claim in December and was awarded 70% for depression in April.  I knew they would recoup the severance pay because it's double dipping if the condition you got the pay for is exactly the same condition you get VA compensation for.  They gave me 3 months of backpay and then sent me a letter saying they will start recouping the money in August 2020 and complete the recoupment in April 2021.

 

Did your increase include a different diagnosis?  They only recoup if the diagnosis code is exactly the same as what you were given severance pay for.  Maybe the diagnostic code has been changed?

 

 

I didn’t sign a contract for a loan.

how can I owe thousands of dollars for a loan if they didn’t tell me I had to pay it back and I didn’t sign a contract for a loan?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 4/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, Hamslice said:

They recouped my separation pay from my VA comp.  They took all of it from 2008 till 2014, until I had paid back about $47,000.00.  I did not have to pay back the taxes that they took out when they paid me my separation pay.  However, I did get my taxes back.

FWIW,

Hamslice

 

I didn’t sign a contract for a loan.

how can anyone owe a loan if theirs no contract for money borrowed?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Jake40 said:

I didn’t sign a contract for a loan.

how can anyone owe a loan if theirs no contract for money borrowed?!

I hate to say it, but they can take it. They do tell you at separation and during that process that if you file a claim within a certain period of time, they can recoup any separation pay from you. It's the way they tell you that many do not understand. They did this to me also and yes got their money back. It is not a loan you sign but the final paperwork during the final processes when you sign that MEB which I was also MEB out. Is it legal for them, YES...doers it suck ass for us, YES 100%. I got out in 1999, got my first claim rated at 10% 2005, finally rated 100% in May by judge( still waiting in final VARO letter and back pay). All back money for me paid off years ago though. Just be happy and feel lucky your fight is over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

    CHAT NOW

  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
       
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
       
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
       
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
     
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
     
    Examples:
     
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
     
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
     
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
     
    Note:
     
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

    tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines