VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% TDIU & Selling Home Question

Rate this question

nancygail

Question

Hello!

We've had a pretty hellacious few years due to my husband's disability and being unable to work. We we're concerned we were going to lose our home which we own. However the disability was finally approved and we were able to get the house on the market and it just sold. Now I have a new concern. We're moving to another state for health and to be close to family who can assist us.

if we make 20 grand on a sale of a house there's no way we can move without using some of it for the move. The rest is to be reinvested so we can buy a new home which can happen in October I believe. We were forced to file  bankruptcy the end of 2018 due to my husband's illness. We were told we couldn't buy a home again for two years and that will be at the end of this year.

Will that money count as income and then we'll lose his disability? Which means we would literally be prevented from buying another home. Does anyone know how this might work in this situation? Is there a way to legally protect that money? I know nothing of this stuff. I just know it was an incredibly difficult journey to get here and due to both our health we needed to sell our house and move closer to family. I'm concerned they can keep us from purchasing another home which means would be locked into paying high rent that is almost half his disability income.

Any info would be very much appreciated. I'm so worn out from all this. It was a long hard battle to get his disability. 

Thanks!

Nancy

2 answers to this question

The sale of a house is not work income. Tdiu doesn’t have a means test, it asks if you are working. You aren’t working and selling your own home is not employment income. If you were on ssa or pension it would be different but you aren’t. 

23 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

The sale of a house is not work income. Tdiu doesn’t have a means test, it asks if you are working. You aren’t working and selling your own home is not employment income. If you were on ssa or pension it would be different but you aren’t. 

Well that makes me feel a lot better. 🙂