VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Determination letter granting retroactive benefits

Rate this question

Mitch242

Question

Hi, and thanks so much for answering in advance. Asking for a good friend and her husband. The question is according to tax law Disability Pensions, military and government disability pensions, retroactive VA determination. What is a VA determination letter granting retroactive benefits? What does that letter look like? We were asked by the IRS to provide a copy of this letter ,after we admended our taxes, that we don't remember seeing, Also, WE THINK THAT SINCE WE ARE DISABLED OUR RETIREMENT SHOULD NOT BE TAXED. we are both 100% as well. Please help...  Receiving both Pension and VA disability..thanks 

Edited by Mitch242
Typos

Are you on pension or disability? Two different things. Disability money from va isn’t taxable you don’t even list it on taxes. It doesn’t exist. 

If they receive 100% VA SC and also a Military retiree Pension ( 20+ years ) they also could definitely be eligible for CRSC or CRDP.

I believe the CRDP is taxable.

I don't understand why they say that CRDP is taxable.  "Disability benefits you receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) aren’t taxable"  .  I have been receiving VA disabilty pay for 8 years, I am retired from the military and receive a monthly check from DFAS for my 22 years of service, I also receive a monthly check for VA disablity which they label as CRDP and it is not reported to the IRS.  Each year I get a letter letting me know that I can continue getting CRDP or, because being 90% combat related (CRSC), I can change to get CRSC - there is no monetary difference so I choose to leave it as it is.