VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied PTSD/MDD but...

Rate this question

justtryintomakeit

Question

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Probably not.  70 percent for MDD pays the same amount as 70 percent for PTSD, or the same amount for 70 percent combined for other disorders such as knees, back, etc.  

If you were granted SC, then you should not receive a SOC.  A SOC is when one or more issues are DENIED.  I think you dont mean an SOC, I think you mean an implementation decision by the VARO 

• HadIt.com Elder
7 hours ago, justtryintomakeit said:

I was granted SC of Other specified trauma and stressor related disorder, related to PTSD - Personal Trauma. I would like to know is there a difference. I haven't received the Statement of Case from the DRO yet. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would think they do make a difference  if the used the word specified?and not unspecified,  unspecified could mean you have  to many other conditions from the trauma situation so with different unspecified conditions  its hard for them to pin-point these conditions and separate them to be give a rating   if the mention a specified disorder  then they can have ways using the DSM 5 Diagnostic tools to make a specified diagnose disorder. 

in mental health such as PTSD  or TBI's  they are several  specified and unspecified disorders   and I think they use an MRI and your symptoms to decide how to rate or which way to go? 

its complicated   even for the best Dr's to figure it out   so they go by the specified condition/'s that best fit your symptoms.

I do not understand it all but a Phyistrist has tried several times to explain it to me

I am going through this now for the last 6 years  in psychotherapy therapy   and they been using different therapy techniques on me   because I show unspecified symptoms   I am not Rated100% for PTSD  BUT 70% Chronic Combat trauma PTSD.  I do not want to be rated 100%PTSD.

I have other service connected conditions that warrant the 100% P&T and get 2 SMC'S   S &K   So I am ok with my rating.  need 2 more years for the 20 year protection rule.

But as for as the specified disorders and unspecified disorders  they are very complicated to figure them out.

• HadIt.com Elder

you may find this some what helpful and good to know.

From C&P Exams.Net

Read on down past the

How Much Time to Allocate for C&P Exams?

https://www.ptsdexams.net/how-much-time-should-va-allocate-for-cp-exams.html

Please keep in mind  with this coronavirus covid 19  has changed things  up...the C&P Exams are being conducted via virtual tele conferences and not in person exams   probably until this pandemic is over. ??

Edited by Buck52

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

Probably not.  70 percent for MDD pays the same amount as 70 percent for PTSD, or the same amount for 70 percent combined for other disorders such as knees, back, etc.  

If you were granted SC, then you should not receive a SOC.  A SOC is when one or more issues are DENIED.  I think you dont mean an SOC, I think you mean an implementation decision by the VARO 

Disability compensation appeal updated on April 29, 2020

Issue on appeal: Service connection, Major depressive disorder

Submitted on: August 5, 2019

It says statement if case I'm thinking they denied ptsd and major depressive disorder but granted the Other specified trauma and stressor related disorder. Thanks for the info, I am aware the all pay the same just wasn’t sure if theRe is a difference.

33 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I would think they do make a difference  if the used the word specified?and not unspecified,  unspecified could mean you have  to many other conditions from the trauma situation so with different unspecified conditions  its hard for them to pin-point these conditions and separate them to be give a rating   if the mention a specified disorder  then they can have ways using the DSM 5 Diagnostic tools to make a specified diagnose disorder. 

Ok I was not sure if something like ptsd could be deemed permanent but Other specified trauma and stressor related disorder could be viewed as temporary, hence most likely to be reviewed for a decrease.

• HadIt.com Elder
58 minutes ago, justtryintomakeit said:

Ok I was not sure if something like ptsd could be deemed permanent but Other specified trauma and stressor related disorder could be viewed as temporary, hence most likely to be reviewed for a decrease.

Well I would think it could be an increase  because if it was decrease they more than likely would just deny right off the bat  so on a specified symptom's  they are trying to figure it all out?

...you may have to just wait to get your decision.

if you requested an increase and you were 70%   they will scope your medical records very carefully and make sure your symptoms meet the 100% MH rating critera  other wise if they don't you will more than likely keep your 70% rating .

YOU may want to research your diagnostic code for the specified disorder they say you have?

Here is the MH Chart for the rating critera by symptoms  

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.100%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.70%

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.50%

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).30%

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.10%

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.0