VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental health medicine

Rate this question

1454th Solider

Question

Should you tell the C&P examiner, if asked, about any medication you have been prescribed for a mental health issue, if you are trying to get it service connected. Can that hurt your rating or worst?

Edited by 1454th Solider

What are you asking? They are going to see it anyway- and if they don’t the rater will. Why wouldnt you, unless you aren’t really prescribed something and are self prescribing or buying online somewhere?

I'm a big advocate of honesty. It would seem to me that if your C&P examiner is examining you for a mental health claim, prescribed medications from other mental health doctors would seem to help your claim. When the VA asks for other medical records and they end up getting them, they will see you were prescribed those meds anyway. There is no reason to withhold that information.

Sgt. Wilky

• HadIt.com Elder

Both excellent responses. It more than likely would help your claim. If you have an outside doc prescribing meds, as long as they are legal, it can only make your symptoms more clear. 

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

I'm a big advocate of honesty. It would seem to me that if your C&P examiner is examining you for a mental health claim, prescribed medications from other mental health doctors would seem to help your claim. When the VA asks for other medical records and they end up getting them, they will see you were prescribed those meds anyway. There is no reason to withhold that information.

Sgt. Wilky

Thanks for your quick responses guys. I was just concerned that the VA may suggest that since your current diagnosed condition is being treated, then you must cured or your rating should be lower.

Sgt. Wilky

Thanks for your quick responses guys. I was just concerned that the VA may suggest that since your current diagnosed condition is being treated, then you must cured or your rating should be lower.

Sgt. Wilky