VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Calculating Income/assets for A&A

Rate this topic

A veteran who is 100% T&P receives generally over 3k per month from VA and receives healthcare at no cost. Would this not automatically disqualify said Vet from A&A based on income restrictions? The posts I've read seem to take this income to count against the income requirement. What am I overlooking?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No.   What you are "overlooking" is that  there are "2" A and A's.  (Actually more, but that isnt relevant, right now.  In summary, you can get "higher" A and A if you need a nurses care around the clock).   The 2 A and A's are:  

1.  "Pension" A and A.  This is needs based, like pension, where if you make too much money you are not eligible.  

2.  "Compensation" A and A.  This is also called SMC L, and adds about another 700 per month to a 100 percent Vet, "provided that" he qualify for A and A.  Criteria is in 38 CFR 3.352 here:  https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.352

Dont feel like the lone ranger.  Pension A and A and compensation A and A are often confused, and Im not even sure all VA employees completely get the differences, especially because the criteria for pension A and A and compenstion A and A are similar, but with pension you dont have to prove its sc, but you do have to have low income.  

In my case Va awarded "pension housebound" when they should have awarded "compensation housebound", because I was at 100 percent, because A and A and housebound BOTH have a pension and compensation components.  

I figured it out just like you did.  You see, the VA awarded "pension" housebound, when I was at 100 percent,and, as you pointed out there really is no such thing as pension housbound when your are at 100 percent, its SMC S.   

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not A&A but get SMC-S  And K for ED,

ED IS SERVICE CONNECTED @0% BUT IS PAID IN ADDITION TO WHAT I ALREADY GET WITH  SMC-S;...> MY TOTAL VA DEPOSIT IN 3,760.00

With one dependent  my spouse.

I was 90% combined rating and inferred  the TDIU P&T 

And Later filed another  separate claim that was rated 70%  this is how I got the SMC -S

Filed a separate claim for the E.D.  service connected @0% but it pays about 138.00 extra.

I am going to file A&A for my spouse.  she is not a veteran but since they passed that a veteran spouse is eligible for A&A were going to file  any help We get would help.

She needs help at home 24-7 can't walk and is not suppose to use a cane Dr's Orders and she can't never be left alone  she fall -prone and she needs help getting dressed and bathed can't cook....

Dr's are afraid if she ever falls just right her Back will snap..and could kill her or paralyzes her? her spine is like mush they said  she had all the Back surgerys possible and now Osteoporosis is set in deep.

along with other parts of her body  if she was a service connected veteran she would qualify for the higher #SMC's

she weighs about 89 LBS  From her normal weight of about 145lbs

SHE HAS HAS ALL KINDS OF CONDITIONS THAT ENABLES HER  TO MANY TO MENTION BUT THEY ARE SEVERE