VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heading to USCAVC Need Answers

Rate this question

capitan

Question

I was denied at the BVA. I want to appeal to the USCAVC. Can somebody please help me? I have 120 days and I need to find a good lawyer. I have a very winnable case, should have won at the BVA, but the judge ruled on a technicality, and not the merit of the case. She said she was precluded to even look at the evidence. I will win at the USCAVC if I have a good attorney. Does anybody know one that is good and deals with this? I don't know if it's important to have one near where I live, but I'm in Summerville, SC.

Edited by capitan

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

We recently went through the USCAVC process and used  https://www.vetlawyers.com/  Bergmann and Moore law offices. They are in DC and we live in Indiana. We were pleased with their representation. We received a remand from CAVC and are now back at the BVA and the claim is with the BVA Judge. My husbands case is from January 2012 , the CAVC portion went relatively quickly. 

Best of luck to you.

I suggest limiting your attorney search to NOVA attorneys.  These are attorneys who have jumped throgh the hoops to get Nova credentials.  

https://www.vetadvocates.org/directory/widget_search?current_page=1&sort_type=featured&filter={"additional_info.show-profile-on-sustaining-membership-directory"%3A+"yes"}&asset_type=company_user&display_type=default

A few attorneys that I have either dealt with personally, or have met (online) Vets who have had success are:

1.  Carpenter Chartered.  Ken Carpenter is probably the best of the best, BUT he is getting older and the last time his office told me they dont do email evidence.  Well, this slows stuff down, and probably indicates maybe he is old school and not that familair with technology.  

2.  CCK law.  Huge law firm.  Robert Chisholm has great experience and success.  

3.  Chris Attig, Attig Steele.  I have used Chris, and he won a remand for me, at no cost.  If you timely appeal a CAVC, most of the time EAJA will pay your attorney fees.  

4.  Bergman and Moore, Woods and Woods, Hill and Pontoon are well known and well respected.  

There are many other good law firms, these are just the ones that came to my head first.  

My advice:  Get moving.  120 days passes fast.  And, there is a high likeliness one or more of thes attorneys will decline to represent you.  There could be many reasons:  They are too busy, they are not familiar with your "type" of case, or any number of other reasons.  Just be aware and dont be discouraged if an attorney turns you down.  

I have been turned down probably about 10 times (I made 4 trips to CAVC...1 Pro Se, 2.  NVLSP, 3. GLover Luck, 4, Chris Attig).  I was offered representation other times, too, but had already picked another attorney.    I won a remand EVERY TIME "except" my pro se trip.  However, my knowledge increased greatly and, even tho my Pro Se Writ of mandamus was denied, I "won" benefits as if by magic within a few months of the denial of the writ.  I doubt that was a coincidence.