VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why is the ebenefits site asking for a credit check?

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

I tried to use the ebenefits site Thursday to send a message, and it said I had to "upgrade to premium" to be able to do that.  It then asked for permission to do a credit check.  I backed out at that point because my credit is none of the business of the VA or the no doubt private company that is running the site.  Why is this being allowed?  Is this recent?  Why aren't vets protesting this?  Even if I were to allow this I would likely have to unfreeze credit agency accounts to allow the check.  Ridiculous.  Why is this allowed? 

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

raidertone

That's good your Dr helped you set up your Myhealthvet Account in the lobby. my VA Doc won't so much get up out of her chair. (My VA PCP)

Ever 90 days you will need to go in and change your pass word  especially on ebenefit's.  After you had the Account 90 days  and it won't let you log in   then you need to change your pass word. (normally)

I never understood about the credit checks  to set up a internet account for Myhealthvet?

Or unless were going to use a VA Loan to buy a house.  then thre credit checks.😉

• HadIt.com Elder

Ebenefits is a VA tool a veteran can use if they wish; it is not a right. The laws in this country are written so someone wishing to obtain a service which can be linked to personal financial info can be evaluated for a credit check. Ebenefits has financial info  ex. you can have direct deposit of benefits. The VA is linked to and has access to your IRS and SS records. It is the way it is for the 21st century. Whether or not we like it really isn't going to change anything. If you chose not to get the premimum level is certainly up to you.

I have an ebenefits premium account.  If you think "big brother" Uncle Sam does not know what your credit score is, well, then I have ocean front property in Kansas for sale.  

It makes sense to me, and here is why:

"If" you permitted VA to pull a credit report on ebennies:

1.  You can check your credit report. 

2.  Pulling a credit report requires extra security..which YOU NEED with ebenefits BECAUSE, if your ebenefits security is compromised, a hacker can change your bank account/deposit to his bank.  (Veterans on hadit tell me it happened to them).  

3.  It would be great for "secret questions".  Example of secret question:  

Lets say you bought a car last year (2019) and borrowed 21000 dollars and bought a Chevrolet Malibu , and your payment was 347 per month.  How likely would it be that a hacker have all those details..that you would know?    If the VA had your permission to access your credit report, then they could ask you how much your car payment was or other details, and know if it was really you or not, which could prevent a hacker from changing your bank account deposit information.   They used to use "mothers maiden name", but hackers got wind of that, and often know the persons identity they stole's mothers maiden name...or can find it out through geneaology onine.  

Of course its possible hackers could find out what kind and color of car you drive, but its unlikely they know your car payment because, remember, the bank has security, too, and you probably dont post on facebook how much your car payment is.  

Computer/information security is a big deal now.  I read that you are more likely to be a victim of cybercrime than someone robbing you with a gun.  

You "probably" dont put a sign outside:  "My money is hid under my bed, and the key is under the mat."  

However, some of things people do online amounts to a similar sign for hackers.  

Edited by broncovet

Sorry still makes no sense.  I was trying to use the messaging tool.  Had nothing to do with finances.  Nothing.  Yes I get benefits electronically, so VA already has my info and I am sure I never submitted to a credit check to get them.  Absolutely positive.  I can check my credit report anytime, I don't need the VA's help (or whatever company this is) to do it.  Are they going to say I can't message my hospital if they find something they don't like?  Or something is on there illegally that can't be removed even after multiple attempts through the bureaus even after lawsuits that the vet won?  (happens all the time and is an ongoing problem for many people).  Especially after the Experian hack of 200 million records, that data source should not be being used for anything related to federal health care, the company should have been forced into receivership. 

• HadIt.com Elder

slangpdx I don't think you get what we are trying to tell you. We are not trying to justify it; we are just saying that if you want to use the VA tool, in this case secure messaging, you have to abide by the VA rules. That's it. You don't have to comply, and you don't have to use it either. All up to you. It is what it is.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had My Premium Account set up at my VAMC  I.T. room all you need to do is come up with your on Passwords  for the Myhealthyvet  account and then on to the premium account for ebenfit's.  then use the save pass word feature when you log on.

I doubt the government will hack your account,,some times they do maintenance in this accounts and no one can log on until they finish up with the updates/Maintenance  usually on the weekends.