VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Exam in the morning

Rate this question

Wise Guy

Question

I got diagnosed from my former counselor through my own insurance for Moderate PTSD. I got a letter from my counselor saying that my PTSD is 51% probable that it occurred during military service. I took that letter to file for PTSD with compensation so it can get looked at. I then stopped using my own insurance and went through the VA to be easier when it came to the exam. Everything is on file. The VA marked me for moderate PTSD and has me taking Doxazosin for nightmares, Hydroxyzine for anxiety, and Sertraline for mental health. Even with all of that on file, compensation is still requesting for an exam outside the VA which is in the morning. Last minute, will the examiner ask me if I'm still having the PTSD symptoms? Because with medication, you shouldn't be having anymore symptoms and I don't know if I'll get denied if I say I don't have anymore symptoms because of the medication. 

Veterans advocates suggest the Veteran report symptoms "on his worst day", not the best day.  

If you woke up in a terror nightmare 3 months ago after forgetting your meds, then so state!  

Its the same way with a private doctor...symptoms are rarely in their worst "at the doc exam", but you know when you go home you are likely to experience the "bad days" again.  

Its the same thing with pain.  You have a bad series of pain, so you call the doc.  They make an appointment for you in 5 weeks.  You suffer bouts of pain in that 5 weeks, but the day you finally get to see the pain doc, your pain level is lowered.  Dont lie...just tell em how bad the pain was on Thursday.  

When you go to the C and p exam, keep that in mind, especially when the doc asks "How are you?"  

If you give the proverbial "fine", you will be backpedaling the whole exam.  Instead, think of your answer.  

To respond to "How are you" at an exam, this is my suggestion:

How are you?

"Way better today.  On Saturday, it was WAY worse.   (then describe your symptoms on Saturday).  Go into details.  "I woke from a terror nightmare and thought my wife was the enemy. Then, after she had a cow, I went into another alcoholic binge.   That didnt work well, as I got in a fight and wound up in jail.   Fortunately, my wife realized I had forgotten my meds, and after 3 days on them..well here I am, brought me my meds in jail, and, well here I am" 

Of course describe your worst day, dont use my example.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Just to let you know more about these PTSD examiners .

Remember not to over-exaggerate your symptoms.

Evaluators of psychological injury are encouraged to utilize more than one measure of malingering, including both PVT and SVT approaches, when PTSD is alleged.

( PVT) Performance Validity Test

(SVT) Symptom Validity Test                                    

demonstrates that when individuals exaggerate or feign PTSD symptoms, they do so in a variety of ways, including exaggerating or feigning cognitive or physical symptoms, even if they have not suffered a physical injury such as a traumatic brain injury (TBI).

They have started doing this at the PTSD C&P Exams

C&P examiners (psychologists and psychiatrists) should administer at least one, and ideally two symptom validity test (SVT) screeners and one or two performance validity test (PVT) screeners, whether or not the veteran reports serious medical problems or cognitive impairment.

Just answer all questions honesty and if you don't know the answer simply say ''Sir I don't know.''

BRONCOVET IS CORRECT, BUT DON'T OVER EXAGGERATE.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wise Guy Quoted

''I got diagnosed from my former counselor through my own insurance for Moderate PTSD.''

A PTSD Diagnosis Must come from the VA MH Dr's ONLY.

Well, if you weren’t taking it would you have symptoms? Medicine controls it, it doesn’t cure it. You tell them that it controls your symptoms but describe what happens if you miss your medication. They are sending you to an exam because ptsd exams have to be done by VA.