VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Marriage

Rate this question

jo12208

Question

3 answers to this question

What do you mean? Dependents are accounted for in compensation, but would not receive any benefits like CHAMP VA or DEA unless you were 100% P and T. 

Veterans dependents pay start at 30% and above. As long as your marriage is legal and not found to be fraud, you and your dependents  will receive benefits.  Years ago an older veteran posted he was going to marry a younger lady just to have VA to continue paying benefits. You would have to submit a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of any birth certificates.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@pacmanx1 I think I remember reading that conversation. The VA shafted him for ages and then he finally won.

@jo12208 Welcome to Hadit! I'm almost 50 and she's about 13 years younger than me, plus she's an RN. As mentioned above, if you have a 30% or higher rating, you would get extra pay each month for each dependent. If you get to 100% P&T or TDIU, they could use CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 Dependent Educational Assistance. There are some restrictions on it, but considering my wife used Ch 35 while getting her BS in nursing, it was very beneficial. You may also want to check your state to see if they have any special veterans benefits for which they might be able to use.