• Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
slangpdx

Got this resposne after posting to va.gov

At suggestion of response to a post on this forum I sent a request for a test through the va.gov portal on 5-7, got this reply today 5-18.

Do I need to "reopen"? Or is it being acted on? Is the "Facility Advocate" at my VAMC?  What is the "Service Line Advocate"? va.gov routes to specific hospitals.  I am asking for a urine test to substitute for a scope procedure, which I know the VA can obtain through two labs it has a relationship with, I verified it.  The local VAMC head sent out email last week saying they are having covid outbreaks among staff in various departments.  Appreciate the honesty, but have to assume there is a substantial problem or they wouldn't have sent it.  Portland Oregon.   I left a phone message for the primary care medical director 5-14, no response.  Also, there are now news reports of VA workers wanting hazard pay for going in, and a VA hospital in Minnesota has been reporting contradictory information on availability of PPE, sanitizer, etc. 

va.gov response below:

----------------------------------

Recently you requested assistance from VA. Below is our response.

If you wish to reopen this issue, you may do so within the next 14 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Response By Email (Department of Veterans Affairs) (05/18/2020 12:38 PM)
Mr. ZZZZ,
Sorry to hear you are having an issues and I have opened a case and sent it to Service Line Advocate to be addressed. 
Your case number is P-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Zozo (fictitious name I typed)
Facility Advocate

Posted (edited)

The VAMC has "taken a page out of VSO's playbook".  

Whenever the Veteran calls and asks for information, the VSO, once they have secured the valuable POA, is required to return no more than 1 percent of the calls made by the Veteran.  

99 percent of Veterans calls shall be ignored.  

Now that VA has implemented this new policy, they start by feeding you with BS, just like the letter above.  VA thinks Veterans are mushrooms...they keep us in the dark and feed us BS. 

Seriously, you are going to have to wait for VA's response.  Their response time is "as usual", when the VA gets a Round Tuit.  

Edited by broncovet

Posted (edited)

Tx for reply.  Phone call with VA primary care yesterday.  Unknown to me it was in the works for me to get the urine test at the VA as requested but it died on April 9 because the lab head didn't do anything.  I wrote electronic message May 8. Primary doc reactivated the chain, said he didn't think this was an unreasonable request, said similar to PSA which VA doesn't typically order but will if vet asks for it.   He said he had no idea what or who a "Service Line Advocate" was. 

Edited by slangpdx
typo

Posted (edited)

Update.  Got call from nurse today.  They have ordered the test kit (actually 2, apparently both for me), 63 days after I made the initial request.  So I guess the right thing  to do was do nothing and wait, at least they have been responsive.  It is a send out to a 3rd party lab.  There are two versions of the test one more accurate and more expensive than the other, don't know which it will be. 

Edited by slangpdx