VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Temporal mental health claims

Rate this question

theplanck

Question

Hello, 

I served in the USAF from 93-97. I was dishonorably discharged. My bipolar (and other secondary disorders) presented during basic training for what I now know was general anxiety disorder. The remainder of my enlistment bipolar started to present as mobility training increased (a huge problem for me was wearing the gas mask for 8 + hours at a time) and the threat of going back to war was escalating. 

I have no documentation from back then, no contact with anyone from that long ago and did not report any of this for fear of ridicule and embarrassment. 

I am absolutely positive that these disorders began during my time in the military. I've been seeing a psychiatrist for about 5 years and have been diagnosed and on meds for as long, I cannot function without the meds. 

Me being absolutely positive these issues started between 93-97 is a lot different then a physical injury (Thank you for your service) and being able to see that injury. So, my question is, how do I begin to justify and win a disability claim with something that just happens to most bipolar suffers around 25? In other words, it just happened. There are those times I remember back from basic training and the mobility exercises where I felt a certain way, but I do not think my bipolar was caused by that. 

Thanks in advance. 

Bob

2 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

Ok so a few things you must do.  You need to start your claim in Ebenefits ASAP.  I would not finish it yet.  This will preserve you start date.

Next you have to get your discharge changed to an other than honorable or honorable!  Once you have this changed you can send in the claim.a

Next I would get your doctor to write you a NEXUS showing when the bipolar started.  Then ask if they will write an IMO to support your claim.

You need the things about to get your service connection.  I would also write Lay statements and if you have any buddies from the military ask them to write them as well.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Shrek know a lot about MH. Follow his advise and ask questions as you go if you are unsure. It isn't easy, but if you keepat it, you can win and get help also. Good luck.