VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aids

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I am pretty sure I'm posting this questioning the wrong forum so for that I apologize in advance. 

I have had tinnitus for years and being Service connected I was told I was eligible for VA hearing aids (my hearing sucks too) that may help.  I've been told that the hearing aids they have really do help a lot with the constant ringing.  Does anyone on here currently have any from the VA and do they really work?  It would be nice to get relief sometimes if they actually do work.

Edited by Ranmic
typo

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I have hearing aids from the VA and yes they really do work  VA CONTRACTS THESE NEW HEARING AIDS OUT  WITH SOME OF THE BEST HEARING AIDS COMPANY'S IN THE COUNTRY, 

YOU ASK FOR HEARING AIDS FROM YOUR  VA PCP AND HE SHOULD REFER YOU TO THE VA ENT CLINIC.

THERE THEY WILL RE TEST YOUR HEARING AND IF THE NUMBERS SHOW YOU HAVE A PROFOUND HEARING LOSS,

THEY THEN WILL FIT YOU FOR NEW HEARING AIDS.

YOU CAN SELECT WHAT HEARING AIDS YOU WOULD LIKE  I GOT PHOXIC BTE (BEHIND THE EAR) AND ARE PROGRAMMABLE TO BLUETOOTH , THEY HAVE MANY DIFFERENT WELL KNOWN BRANDS TO CHOOSE FROM  USUALLY THEY LET YOU CHOOSE.

NOW THEY WILL MIX UP A THICK PAST CLAY LIKE STUFF  PUT A STRING ON IT AND POKE IT INSIDE YOUR EAR  FOR A MOLD  SO THEY CAN SEND IT IN AND THEY CAN MATCH YOUR AIDS TO FIT THE INSIDE OF YOUR EARS.  TAKES ABOUT 3./4 WEEKS TO GET THEM IN THE MAIL.

I WILL HAVE TO SAY THE VA USES THE BEST HEARING AIDS AVAILABLE 

IF I HAD TO BUY MINE  THEY WOULD COST IN THE TUNE OF ABOUT 3.000,00 EACH  I GOT TWO.

REMEMBER JUST BECAUSE YOU ASK FOR HEARING AIDS DON'T MEANT THIS IS FOR  COMPENSATION PURPOSES .

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Ranmic I have hearing and tinnitus; had hearing aides now for about 4-5 years. At the time they didn't have hearing aides that helped neutralize the tinnitus problem, so I can't say a lot about it. And my tinnitus isn't constant, all day long; just comes and goes so I'm not sure I would be a good candidate for it anyway. You can ask for them in believe 3 years after you were first given VA issued hearing aides if you don't get them initially. I'm not sure about your hearing though. Do you have a hearing disability also, or just tinnitus as being rated? If not, put in a claim for it. Having an already disability approved for tinnitus, which of course is a seperate disability, doesnn't hurt. I agree with Buck; they have a very good program and if you are rated, it is free.

• HadIt.com Elder

I AM NOT SURE THERE IS ANY HEARING AIDS OUT THERE THAT WILL HELP WITH TINNITUS?  ESPECIALLY IF ITS CONSTANT.

I HAVE CONSTANT TINNITUS  OF COURSE ITS WORSE AT BEDTIME.

IF YOU GO TO THE VA AND THEY RE TEST YOU FOR HEARING LOSS TO GET THESE HEARING AIDS,  BE-SURE YOU TELL THEM ABOUT THIS RINGING- BUZZING SOUNDS IN YOUR HEAD.

THAT YOU READ ABOUT THAT AND ITS KNOWN AS TINNITUS   YOU NEED TO TELL THE AUDIOLOGIST THIS,,,THEY DO NOT LET YOU KNOW OR ASK YOU ABOUT IT  SO THE VETERAN NEEDS TO LET THEM KNOW ABOUT THIS SOUNDS INSIDE YOUR HEAD. IT HAS A 10% COMPENSATION RATING FOR BOTH EARS.    THEY ONLY GIVE 10% FRO TINNITUS.

• HadIt.com Elder

BY THE WAY

After your fitted for hearing aids  you can get new ones every 4 years.I am on my 4th set from the VA. 

When they don't work as good as they use to and you have kept them clean and replace filters and they still don't seem to work like when they were brand new and 4 years have past  you can go get another set  but they do re test you each time....why  the retest? we will probably never know why?  since hearing loss will never get any better only worse.

to me its just a waist of time and tax payers$$ to be retested for hearing aids from the VA  Once your tested for them and have received them.

Thank you GBArmy and Buck.  Yes, I am currently at 10% for tinnitus and 0% for hearing but my hearing is Service connected as is my tinnitus.  I appreciate the tips and the next time I go see my PCP I will ask if she can refer me to the ENT to see if I can get fitted for a pair.  To be hones I'd like to see if they help minimize the tinnitus and also I'm curious to what sounds I've been missing......LOL

Edited by Ranmic
typo

• HadIt.com Elder

Tinnitus can cause bad word discrimination and cause you to miss hear what is being  said...the best way I describe my tinnitus and hearing loss is a ringing buzzing sounds inside your head a sound like you hearing crickets sitting out on a river bank or creek bank fishing

say your at a public swimming pool and there's is a lot of kids running around yelling and playing  if you ever have ever duck your head under the water about a foot or so and try to hear what is being said  you can't make out what is being said but you can hear the kids yelling and playing.

I believe this is what tinnitus causes and although you may hear someone but you can't understand what they said. and of course a long with any type hearing loss it compounds your hearing problem.

now its different in the testing booth no sounds what so ever and the amplify the sounds coming into your head phones to your comfort level  so if you still show a hearing loss   they should give you a rating for it.

Edited by Buck52