VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100%va Can I Draw Any Form Of Ssd Or Ssi?

Rate this question

sonicdragon2001

Question

100%VA can I draw any form of SSD or SSI?

I draw 100 % service from VA in Virginia for mental disorder and Lung damage during war time.

Resently i have found it getting more exspensive in the winter time and I was told that I may be able to recieve some form of SS without it deducting from my VA funds, if so how do I go about this and if denied what is the best route to follow?

Thank you.

PS. If I draw 100% VA is there anyway I can get a small job and if so how much am I allowed to earn a year?

Edited by sonicdragon2001

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

you can recieve social security disability if you have paid enough into the system. you can also use your va claims as evidence you are totally disabled, here is the website for social security http://www.ssa.gov/d&s1.htm i found it was easier just to call them and they explained everything to me. they will send you application, you will apply, there probably will be at least one exam by their doctors and they will make a decision, if they turn you down you can then get an attorney to assist you with the appeal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Be sure to use your actual date of disability or the date the VA established as your date of 100% disability as your disability date and not the date you apply. It can mean more quarters, towards your qualification, if you've been disabled for a while. You can also use an attorney or representative, from the beginning, if you desire. Good luck.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder
you must have a certain number of "recent quarters" of work immediately before you became disabled. ie. you won't be granted ss disability if you have been disabled for the past 5 years and did not apply for ss disability until now. http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html#part2

Not to be difficult but I believe that is incorrect. You must have worked during 5 years out of the 10-year period ending with the quarter your "disability began." If you became disabled 6 yrs ago and are just applying for SSDI now you must use the disability onset date of 6 yrs ago or you will be denied based on lack of quarters. SS is like the VA in that they supply misinformation to the claimants. jmo

pr

Not to be difficult but I believe that is incorrect. You must have worked during 5 years out of the 10-year period ending with the quarter your "disability began." If you became disabled 6 yrs ago and are just applying for SSDI now you must use the disability onset date of 6 yrs ago or you will be denied based on lack of quarters. SS is like the VA in that they supply misinformation to the claimants. jmo

pr

It's been awhile since I applied for my SS disability and was approved, but could not draw any money because i did not have enough "recentquarters" of work under ss. I would have to check this out with ss to see how many quarters of recent work you need. found this:

http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications...01/bm050110.htm

Being Recently Insured

Being blind and being fully insured are the first two important eligibility conditions for SSDI checks. Disabled people who are not blind must also meet a third condition, which is called "recently insured." They must have worked enough to earn quarters of coverage in at least twenty out of the most recent forty quarters. This means that a substantial number of their quarters of coverage must have been earned during at least five out of the most recent ten years. Social Security personnel sometimes erroneously apply this recent-work requirement to blind people. But remember, the blind need only be fully insured, not recently insured.

• HadIt.com Elder
It's been awhile since I applied for my SS disability and was approved, but could not draw any money because i did not have enough "recentquarters" of work under ss. I would have to check this out with ss to see how many quarters of recent work you need. found this:

http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications...01/bm050110.htm

Being Recently Insured

Being blind and being fully insured are the first two important eligibility conditions for SSDI checks. Disabled people who are not blind must also meet a third condition, which is called "recently insured." They must have worked enough to earn quarters of coverage in at least twenty out of the most recent forty quarters. This means that a substantial number of their quarters of coverage must have been earned during at least five out of the most recent ten years. Social Security personnel sometimes erroneously apply this recent-work requirement to blind people. But remember, the blind need only be fully insured, not recently insured.

Jesse - the key is having the qualifying quarters within the 5/10 yr requirement from the date of disability onset. If a claimant doesn't apply within 5 yrs of becoming disabled Social Security will routinely use application date as onset date, thereby causing the claim to be denied. I'm not sure if it needs to go to the ALJ level to establish the earlier date of onset or not but it could make a difference whether the claimant will win. A claimant needs to establish a disability onset date within that 5/10 yr period or risk losing an otherwise valid claim. Thanks for your input!

pr