VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Marijuana and controlled substances

Rate this question

Anthony333777

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

From VA https://www.publichealth.va.gov/marijuana.asp

VA and Marijuana – What Veterans need to know

Several states in the U.S. have approved the use of marijuana for medical and/or recreational use. Veterans should know that federal law classifies marijuana as a Schedule One Controlled Substance. This makes it illegal in the eyes of the federal government.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is required to follow all federal laws including those regarding marijuana. As long as the Food and Drug Administration classifies marijuana as Schedule I VA health care providers may not recommend it or assist Veterans to obtain it.

Veteran participation in state marijuana programs does not affect eligibility for VA care and services. VA providers can and do discuss marijuana use with Veterans as part of comprehensive care planning, and adjust treatment plans as necessary.

Some things Veteran need to know about marijuana and the VA:

• Veterans will not be denied VA benefits because of marijuana use.
  • Veterans are encouraged to discuss marijuana use with their VA providers.
  • VA health care providers will record marijuana use in the Veteran's VA medical record in order to have the information available in treatment planning. As with all clinical information, this is part of the confidential medical record and protected under patient privacy and confidentiality laws and regulations.
  • VA clinicians may not recommend medical marijuana.
  • VA clinicians may only prescribe medications that have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for medical use. At present most products containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), or other cannabinoids are not approved for this purpose by the FDA.
  • VA clinicians may not complete paperwork/forms required for Veteran patients to participate in state-approved marijuana programs.
  • VA pharmacies may not fill prescriptions for medical marijuana.
  • VA will not pay for medical marijuana prescriptions from any source.
  • VA scientists may conduct research on marijuana benefits and risks, and potential for abuse, under regulatory approval.
  • The use or possession of marijuana is prohibited at all VA medical centers, locations and grounds. When you are on VA grounds it is federal law that is in force, not the laws of the state.
  • Veterans who are VA employees are subject to drug testing under the terms of employment.

View the full directive ”Access to VHA Clinical Programs for Veterans Participating in State-Approved Marijuana Programs (73 KB, PDF).” (VHA Directive 1315)

To send a secure email, use VA's Ask a Question - IRIS (a secure website contracted to VA). Please do not include personal data or information.

• HadIt.com Elder

I doubt if the VA will legalize marijuana in my life time , but the way this country is being run  there's no telling what may happen.

As far as medical marijuana goes, it really depends on the laws in your state and the specific policies of the VA. Some states have laws that protect patients who use medical marijuana, but others don't. It's worth checking with your doctor and the VA to see what their policies are. In the meantime, have you tried looking into CBD for pain relief? I know it's not the same as marijuana, but it's legal in all 50 states and has been shown to have some pretty impressive pain-relieving properties. I actually came across an article that helped me discover the best CBD for pain, and it's made a huge difference for me.

Edited by yakabdullahi

The policy of the VA is that marijuana is illegal at the federal level regardless of what the state laws says. If you are known to be using marijuana the VA will take you off opiods because the point of MJ for pain relief is to not use opioids. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

On 5/31/2020 at 12:26 PM, Buck52 said:

I doubt if the VA will legalize marijuana in my life time , but the way this country is being run  there's no telling what may happen.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, Anthony333777 said:

Hey, I'm prescribed adderall for my ADHD and I'm prescribed tramadol for my shoulder pain. If they legalize medical marijuana in my state, could I use marijuana without losing these controlled substances by the VA?

Try meditating, it’s better for you, and has NO! Side effects.

• HadIt.com Elder

VA is only20 years behind the rest of the country.  I have severe back and neck pain and I take oxycodone.  It messes me up and has other side effects.  I would try pot if I could get away with it.  VA gives me a blood and/or urine test every three months. If I am "dirty" they will cut off my pain meds