VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How staight forward is the process for filing a claim for AO related prostate cancer?

Rate this question

Max Rommel

Question

I served in Vietnam in 67-68 with the Marines. I was just diagnosed with prostate cancer (three of 12 biopsy samples, Gleason scores of six, six and seven). I filed a VA claim online and submitted the pathology report. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the VA? I am already an Agent Orange disabled vet in their system (10%) for another issue. A decision on the course of treatment for the prostate cancer will be made soon. It will probably be radiation or active surveillance.

Thanks.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Max You should be required to attend a C&P exam. If you use the VA for health care, it should be fairly straight forward, as they will have all your records. ou dd214 should show that you were in Vietnam. If you use your own private health, get copies of your medical files regarding the cancer and submit with your claim. Your benefits will be determined by your diagnosis and then treatment. It is important to submit right away because if you should stay in the hospital for 23 (?) days, you will be rated at least temp. at 100%. Active surveillance usually continues at 100% because you still have it. 

It looks like prostate cancer is on the "presumptive list" for in country Vietnam Vets.  So this should make it easier.  https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/prostate_cancer.asp

If you have little experiece with VA you should either/both:

1.  Consider getting a VSO

2.  Ask lots of questions on hadit.