VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Extra Earnings for Military Service

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Anyone collecting Special Extra Earnings for Military Service and SSDI or is this benefit only for those collecting Social Security Retirement?

Special extra earnings credits are granted for periods of active duty or active duty for training. Here's how the special extra earnings are credited on your record:

• From 1957 through 1977, you are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.
  • From 1978 through 2001, for every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year.
In January 2002, Public Law 107-117, the Defense Appropriations Act, stopped the special extra earnings that have been credited to military service personnel.

If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, and didn't complete at least 24 months of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive the additional earnings.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/military.html

5 answers to this question

How will this help in the social security calculations?

Please expand further.

I have always heard this but never really understood the specifics.

Or provide a link that fully explains.........................

Thanks...........🤠

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This sounds promising. Does anyone know if the extra earnings are per month or per year?

Sorry for not responding sooner but I have been recovering from a trip from the VAMC and have not had the strength to do much of anything. Not COVID-19 just fibromyalgia symptoms kicking me around. I am still trying to research this so any help would be very appreciative. If not I will get back to responding when I can.

These extra earnings credits are added to your earnings record when you apply for Social Security benefits. NOTE: In all cases, the additional earnings are credited to the earnings that we average over your working lifetime, not directly to your monthly benefit amount.