VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claims Filed During Pandemic

Rate this question

deedub75

Question

Who all have new claims filed since the beginning of the pandemic?  

I submitted new claims on 4/30/2020 for the following:

1. (NEW) SMC-K for loss of use of left foot due to foot drop and loss of dorsiflexion. I'm not sure what exactly caused this but it happened after left foot surgery in 2015 to rebuild the arch that dropped due to service connected pes planus. I had developed tarsal tunnel syndrome and surgery was to help with it. If this is granted, I will file for an earlier effective date. 

2. (NEW) SMC-K for physical loss of both testicles due to service connected testicular atrophy. I was service connected for testicular atrophy effective 1/24/2012.  If this is granted I will file for an earlier effect date.  

3. (NEW) Temporary 100% for right ankle surgery I had in February 2020.

4. (INC) Residuals Right Ankle Sprain With Achilles Tendonitis. I didn't actually file an increase for this but I guess it was added as part of the temporary 100%.  

There were exams ordered with LHI but due to the pandemic, they could not be scheduled. I called LHI last week and they say the VA still hasn't cleared them to start back doing in person exams. I checked eBenefits yesterday and I saw that the temporary 100% was granted effective 2/12/2020 (surgery day) to 4/1/2020. I submitted all of surgery notes and notes from my follow up visits so no surprise here. I then checked va.gov and saw that 2 more requests were put in.  Of course I kept investigating because that's how I am so I went to LHI's website and noticed that the DBQ for knee and lower leg was deleted.  Not sure why that would have been ordered anyway.  

Now my claim has got to the 'review of evidence' phase and I haven't any exams yet.  I know that many here say that eBenefits isn't accurate but I've always found mine to be pretty accurate.  

Anyone else have weird things going on with claims now during the pandemic?  

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Depending on where your exams are being scheduled they are subject to take longer. I have veterans that had exams scheduled a month ago that still don't have scheduled dates. We can request then, but once they are requested they are subject to the availability of the facility .

2 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Depending on where your exams are being scheduled they are subject to take longer. I have veterans that had exams scheduled a month ago that still don't have scheduled dates. We can request then, but once they are requested they are subject to the availability of the facility .

Mine are with LHI. I called last week and they are still waiting for the VA to give them the green light to start in person exams. 

I know it’s just a reminder how things were for all of us a decade ago with how shit was moving slow, now this is just an excuse they needed for dropping the ball yet again. But the outsourcing of C and P was always step in the right direction. I would bark at the RO in emails about if the company LHI doctors are essential staff why C and Ps aren’t considered as an essential activity. I am my RO in Wilmington DE nightmare I have the CO of the Regional Offices email and met him in person. The ROs delay tactics are my motivation to hit the email who I can button. Not sure where you reside but worth the shot of asking hell if I didn’t ask the RO one question I’d still be 100% TDIU P and T and not scheduled 100% P and T. I used to call the 1800 number the whitehouse hotline actually worked for me on two separate incidents where it’s was waiting for the exams to be scheduled but it worked like they would tell me yes it’s been outsourced then called the company to see when it’s scheduled then call back the Va and then call the RO. I literally wasted hours of my life on hold when it was the old system and you had to hear that annoying xxxxxxx song that still haunts my dreams.....

LHI doesn't need to wait on VA- if the exams have been scheduled and sent the ball is in LHI's court and VA is waiting on THEM for the results. LHI in some locations is doing exams, I just saw some completed with results for a guy on 4/30, this morning. 

I was thinking the same here thing call LHI again sounds fishy...they are given a window I don’t recall but I thought it also has to be in a 50 radius if you call you can have that changed to the nearest location, both my LHI exams were an hour drive to have it done ASAP, to have it scheduled in a timely basis and report sent back I never waited I waited ten days after the exam went to the VA hospital records and got a print out on the spot ....

Edited by jfrei

That's what I was told on the phone just this past Friday when I called to try to get them scheduled.  My exam requests are in their system.  I can log in and see them on their website.  I will call them again.