VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I have to keep seeing my therapist?

Rate this question

texasvet

Question

I am 65 years old and have been 100% P&T  SC PTSD for 7 years. With all of this Covid stuff, I haven’t seen my therapist for several months.  I’ve decided to not see him for the next few months & I wonder if I am in danger of losing my benefits if I stop going to my therapist for a while or if I stop altogether. 

Thoughts?

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Texasvet Short answer is if you are P&T, then no. You can always fall back on the fact that you didn't want to risk getting the virus and they are supposed to honor that reason for missing anyway. But, If you are rated for 7 years and 65, no, But maybe there is something in the "having your cake and eating it to" category. Several of the VAMC are opening up on a limited basis now, and in a few weeks many more will also. Have you tried to set up a video conference, telmed or whatever they call it? A lot of MH sessions are being conducted that way now and maybe your doc does that. Contact him and see. It is best if you continue your sessions to stay on course with your treatment and it is better for you and your family if you do.

• HadIt.com Elder

A lot of it is how advance are you in therapy? did the therapists teach you  breathing techniques to be able to calm your self down during panic attacks? high anxiety?

If you suddenly stop therapy  that may not be a good thing  don't worry about your ratings for not showing up at therapy worry about yourself and your family..

.if you don't have any scheduled appointments with your therapist  then stop worrying   if you do have appointments with your therapist I suggest you go to them...or you can request the video version and have the therapist send you an email for the VA virtual video tele-health conference   at a certain time and date..you can have these in your home  bedroom, living room where ever your comfortable.

THEY DO THIS  THROUGH OUT THIS PANDEMIC AND MAY KEEP DOING THEM.

I been doing these Video Tele-Health Conference with my therapist for about 4 months now we have them every 2 weeks at 11:00am sharp.

I just grab my lap top here at home few minutes before 11:00 am grab my head phones and and get online go to my email click on the Gov.gov email my therapist sent me and walla at 11:00am there she is on my computer screen and we talk and she does her  therapy sessions like she does at the VAMC in her office .

It helps me too and she teaches me new things to try  I been OFFICIALLY   SERVICE CONNECTED FOR CHRONIC PTSD For 6 years now and have went to sessions weekly and bi weekly ever since.

Although I had PTSD ever since I got out   but was in a self denial about it  for years ,I didn't want to be crazy or let anyone know I had problems coping with it, but I just could not hide it any longer  I had put my family through a living hell and I am glad I reach out and got the help I so badly needed. Or I probably would not be living today.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I am 68 and 100% P&T Also  with 2 SMC awards  if we can call it that?(AWARDS?)

Actually none of us are safe until we reach the 20 year protection Rule

I have 2 years left on that , 2022 I'll have my 20 consecutive years in on my 100% P&T.

Edited by Buck52

Thank you Buck & GB!!!

I’ve been seeing my therapist for 10 years now. I’ve taken the ACT, CPT, a class on insomnia and a couple of others that I can’t remember their names. 

While I greatly appreciate my therapist and his effort, I hit a plateau quite a few years ago. I’ve told him that sometimes I feel like I’m just living the trauma over and over and over again and that maybe trying to bury the memories like I did for 30 years is worth a try.

Some days, I feel terrible that I’m taking up his time and that maybe a younger veteran is missing out on getting the help he or she needs because I’m in his office. 

As far as the video conference goes, I’ve decided not to go down that path. I had one phone session with him and I just didn’t feel the patient-therapist connection.

I’ve done a ton of research on PTSD and as far as I can tell, at least in my case, until they invent a flashy thing like on men in Black to erase memories, they will always be there  

thanks!!!

I agree with GB Army.  In addition to the 20 year protection rules, there is a 5 year (or P and T) and 10 year for severance of SC, rules.  

Since you apparently qualify for the 5 year protection(s), you cant be reduced unless you have "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

I dont think you have anything to worry about, unless you have gotten better,  but read this:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder
7 hours ago, texasvet said:

Thank you Buck & GB!!!

I’ve been seeing my therapist for 10 years now. I’ve taken the ACT, CPT, a class on insomnia and a couple of others that I can’t remember their names. 

While I greatly appreciate my therapist and his effort, I hit a plateau quite a few years ago. I’ve told him that sometimes I feel like I’m just living the trauma over and over and over again and that maybe trying to bury the memories like I did for 30 years is worth a try.

Some days, I feel terrible that I’m taking up his time and that maybe a younger veteran is missing out on getting the help he or she needs because I’m in his office. 

As far as the video conference goes, I’ve decided not to go down that path. I had one phone session with him and I just didn’t feel the patient-therapist connection.

I’ve done a ton of research on PTSD and as far as I can tell, at least in my case, until they invent a flashy thing like on men in Black to erase memories, they will always be there  

thanks!!!

you are correct the memories will always be there  its like your mind takes a picture of your trauma and  in case in in the back of your mind,and its there forever.

this is why when we or see smell of things that remind us of the trauma hits us hard  the therapist are there to help us cope with this because there is no cure for PTSD especially combat PTSD or some things that assimilates it or a freak accident or rape to  seeing dead body's or loading them in a body bag ect,,,ect,,  Therapist can show us the tools to use and how  and when to use them , get hobbys stay busy but that's still not enough.

You may want to pm member Shrekthe tank1  he also has PTSD And has some good information as to how to deal with it  he has helped me calm down when my anxiety get out of hand  or to high as the therapist call it.

my advice is  if the therapist you have now is not helping you request a different therapist   that may hit home if you click with your therapist.

Hang in there buddy!!!