VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I have to keep seeing my therapist?

Rate this question

texasvet

Question

I am 65 years old and have been 100% P&T  SC PTSD for 7 years. With all of this Covid stuff, I haven’t seen my therapist for several months.  I’ve decided to not see him for the next few months & I wonder if I am in danger of losing my benefits if I stop going to my therapist for a while or if I stop altogether. 

Thoughts?

On 4/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, john999 said:

I would keep seeing the VA shrink if I were you.  I have been seeing one for 25 years.  This produces a mountain of documentation and evidence.  Very hard to cut a rating for a vet who is in constant long term care from a VA shrink.

Thanks John!!!

May I ask if you are 100% P&T and are you an older vet like me?

Also, have you been seeing the same therapist for 25 years? If so, that is remarkable.  Till I stopped seeing mine because of Covid, he was the third therapist that I had seen. The first one told me that her specialty was not PTSD and that she was not the best one to help me  

So, I was assigned another one that was fresh out of college, a non-veteran, and she didn’t know jack squat. She really ticked me off when she would take phone calls during my sessions.

I then asked for another therapist that specialized in PTSD and I got a great one.  I’ve been with him for 10 years and It’s been a year since I’ve seen him face-to-face and he had been hinting at retiring.  With that in mind, I decided there was no way that I was gonna break another therapist in.  

So, since I am 66 years old and 100% SC and P&T, I think that I’m OK as far as benefits go.

Additionally, I have spoken several times to a priest friend of mine that has done a lot of counseling and he has helped me quite a bit. So I still have someone that I can talk to and that I can trust.  

God Bless,

texasvet