VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First claim questions

Rate this question

XIbodybag

Question

So back story, i spent 6 years in the guard including several combat deployments to iraq.  I got out in 2013 and neglected filing a claim.  In november of 2019 i filed my first claim for PTSD, TBI, Tinnitus, knee pain, back pain and secondary to PTSD i claimed anxiety, depression and sleep disturbance.  I filed a FDC.  In hindsight now i know the secondary claims should have come later. 

Long story short in January they changed it to a standard claim and set me up for a C&P for PTSD only....C&P was through VES and went well.  I have a CIB and arcom w v device so my stressor is confirmed automatically from what ive been reading?  Ive been calling the 1000 number since january asking about the status and they give me the same answer.  "You're in the development stage of blah blah blah" and that they are waiting on paperwork from the national guard.  When i ask them what paperwork to see if i can produce it they tell me its internal to the VA and they cant see what it is? Lol.  They've requested 4 times apparently over the past 5 months.  Anyways i finally get it out of them 3 days ago that they need some type of personnel records but no specifics.  Luckily i find hrc.army.mil and login with my premium login account and every personnel record from my enlistment, to my seperation from service is in there. 

The thing is why are they playing dumb and not telling me specifically what was needed?  Also why only a C&P for ptsd?  My knee complaints have been documented through active duty dr visits and va dr visits.  Also no C&P for tinnitus? Isnt that a given for infantry combat veterans?  Im so disillusioned with this whole process so far.  Going on 210 days and counting....

Edited by XIbodybag

Okay so quick update.  My status on ebenefits changed today to preparation for decision.  Im still waiting on C&P exams for TBI and Tinnitus.  Does this mean my other contentions are being decided now and the TBI and Tinnitus will be "deferred"?

Edit:  Wow now it changed to pending decision approval in the same day...Good news...bad news...indifferent?

Edited by XIbodybag

Potentially- unless there is enough evidence of record that the exams were done ACE. We're giving the contractors the option on almost every claim exam except for PTSD/MST and a few others. Not sure on TBI Ive never worked one of those. 

6 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Potentially- unless there is enough evidence of record that the exams were done ACE. We're giving the contractors the option on almost every claim exam except for PTSD/MST and a few others. Not sure on TBI Ive never worked one of those. 

Dude crazy it went to preparation for notification now.  It went from prep for decision, pending decision approval, to prep for notification in the span of 4 hours?  You ever heard of that? Im nervous now lol.

Ah, the famous Ebenifits jump jump jump.  It tells you someone is looking at your claim today.  I have had it go both ways.  Finalized, and believe it or not, back to Gathering Evidence.

The good news is, back to Gathering Evidence, this time should be relatively shorter, less than a week.  Looking for someone to clarify if its a 2 or a Z.  LOL.

I think your going to get a letter in the mail soon, 

Hamslice

So my benefits letter just updated.  Service connected PTSD (Combat related) was DENIED?  But I was approved for "other trauma and stressor related disorder".  And only at 30%....that is insane to me.   I realize that it doesnt matter in terms of the payout but it seems weird considering I was diagnosed with PTSD by a VA dr.

#1 Why was I not approved for combat related PTSD when I am a combat infantryman with a CIB and army commendation medal with valor?

#2 The lowball...whatever im not the first its happened to and wont be the last.  How do I get this increased?  I went to the psych C&P with a list of all my symptoms and definitely hit enough for 50 to 70% IMO.  

Knee and lower back were not service connected and TBI and tinnitus were deferred.

Wait a few days and see if your c and p notes are on my health vet (contractor ones won’t usually be you have to get them from the contractor). Find out what the examiner said, compare it to the denial letter whenyou gat that and then determine accordingly. You can file a supplemental claim and have it looked at again be someone else but you have to request the right one. 1 is just a review of existing only, one allows new and relevant evidence. Or you can full on appeal to the board.

Without knowing what your examiner said all you have is the denial letter. which will spell out exactly why but that’s only half the story.

Edited by brokensoldier244th