VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA dependent educational assistance

Rate this question

Miguel Gallegos

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Your children have to be natural or adopted. Where they live is not an issue. It is up to the dependents to do the forms to receive the benefit. It is an excellent benefit as long as the young folks who use it maintain a certain GPA.  

Here is more:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/VOCREHAB/Dep_Edu_Assist_Chapter_35.asp

Step children are dependents as well.

How old are your children? 

My daughter was awarded DEA right before she turned 26 which is the usual age cut off date but not always.

The DEA App clearly asks if the claimant has had Honorable Military service, and if so, must attach a copy of their DD 214.

She attached a copy of her DD214 as she had seven years f Military service.

VA DEA gave her one MONTH!  She called me up from DC , and could not believe how stupid the VA was. I said Welcome t my world, and I prepared a NOD and a CUE in the same letter mailed it to her to sign and mail hersel to VA Educational Department.

Three weeks later she called me up- again to say they had properly awarded her the 7 years of DEA.

She was so ticked, and still angry over her dad's death by VA, that she is now 1/3 away from her Masters and paid for all of her education herself with NO student Loans at all. She will never trust the VA.

She is at DOD now (NSA Classified), and paid back her mil time, and that means she can retire from federal service whenever she wants. She is only 41.

However the VA paid the full tuition for me at AMU, I had earned half of my degree in the past , and also when I proved my husband;s death was also a direct SC death in addition to his death due to VA malpractice , at that point my DEA as a widow had run out so VA gave me a new limiting date, and also reimbursed me for my out of pocket expenses, due to the AO DMii claim for direct SC death. after my original DEA ran out.

Go over the Chapter 35 info Jbasser gave you very carefully---if your children are already in college and are within the DEA date ,the VA might reimburse the expenses they had incurred so far. if they attended a VA approved school.

To clarify the limiting date-the beginning date the VA said you were 100% P & T is the date from which they would reimburse any expenses for tuition , per their schedule for that ,if your children were eligible for Chapter 35 by attending a VA approved college. Still this does not cover all of the nuances of Chapter 35- and the grade factor and the age factor.