VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Stories

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

This one may help you:

I have always done well on tests.  The military was no different, and I grew in rank very fast because I always did well on the tests which were, at least at that time, given for promotions.  

I found my self an E5 about a couple years into the service.  The big boss called me in.  He said "Barney" (not my real name), I have to give you a supervisor position but I dont like it."

I asked him why.  He said, "Because you are a kid".  He was right, of course, but I certainly did not want to admit that at my age of 19.  He went on to tell me that he was going to give me supervisor position, but "he'd be watching me". 

"What do I have to do to earn your trust, Ken?"  

"You should know that by now.  You have been assistant supervisor, and you know that I wont be here at night, so just make sure your work is "right" in the morning when I get here".  

That sounded easy.  One of the things I did was to print the whole base paychecks, since I was now the shift supervisor (graveyard shift).  Well, I always checked "my paycheck" because my name was early in the alphabet and one of the first to print out.  If mine was right, I figured the rest would be correct, too.

A few weeks later, I was printing checks, and noticed my check to be way, way, way off.  It was supposed to be about 200 dollars, while it was only 78 dollars.  So, I called the computer programmer at 3 am.  

"Sorry to bother you so late, the paychecks seem wrong.  Mine is supposed to be almost 200, and its only 79 dollars".

He responded, sleepily, that he wanted to know why that was also.  He told me to get the computer printout and we would go over it together.   

After a pretty lengthy conversation, he and I determined a keypuncher made a mistake..and put all the charcters in a card one place to the right of where they were supposed to be.  So, instead of 6 percent for social security taxes, it took 60 percent.  

He had me re do that card, moving it over one character, re run paychecks and call him again.  

I did, and about an hour later I called him back and reported that fixed the problem, my check was now what it is supposed to be. 

About 2 days later, the big boss called me in his office.  He said, "Barnes, do you know what its like to be in this room with 80 people mad at you?"  

"No, I dont."  I responded.

"Well, I do.  People get very angry when there check doesnt arrive on time.  They need their money and I get that.

I heard about what you did..finding the error, getting it fixed and rerunning the job so that paychecks were ON TIME. 

I want you to know you did me a HUGE favor.  I didnt have to face 80 angry people to tell them their check would be 3 more days.  If you ever need something from me, you let me know."  

So, I soon got another promotion.  I was the computer room supervisor, and pretty much my only job was to do "muster".  (Account for people present, absent, sick, on leave, etc).  It took under an hour, and I could do what I wanted the rest of the day.  Frankly, it was the easiest job there was and I knew because I had done most of the other jobs at some point.  

I did take calls from people who called in sick, car broke down, etc.  And, I had the authority to give them the day off for medical or even liberty.  Sometimes, people are rewarded with days off for exceptional performance, family troubles, death in family, etc. etc.  

A few weeks later, I was called in again.  This time, representatives from, yes, the white house were there.  They had needed a computer operator, and the boss told them I was the best, since they wanted the best.  

I was offered a position at the white house, as they had a computer similar to ours, and I had the clearance.  I turned them down.  Why?  Because I would have had to "re up" for 6 more years, and I didnt want to do that.  

When I got out of the miltary, I checked my DD214.  Sure enough, I someone important awarded me the "good conduct" medal.  

I think I know who did that!  

This medal follows me.  It sure doesnt hurt when Im seeking benefits to have been awarded that medal, tho I almost never bring it up, at least one BVA judge noticed it!!  

Moral:  Attention to detail can be a very big deal.  Little things can mean a lot.  Do that with your benefits.  Get those dates right, dont guess.  Be honest, always.  People will reward your honesty with trust, and you may need their trust, someday!  

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronc, good story to have with your morning coffee. "Pay attention to detail";  absolutely!