VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

90% , need advice to get to 100%

Rate this question

goaltender

Question

Any advice will be appreciated.

Here is what I have:

70% PTSD with panic attacks 

50% sleep apena

30% IBS

30% migraine including migraine variants (also claimed as headaches), residuals of traumatic brain injury.

( the professional thing re: a migraine rating is that.....going into the BVA process, i did not have a migraine rating. I did have a 10% TBI rating. The law judge found the migraine diagnosis in my reccords, ordered another TBI eval, and once the eval was done, my 10% TBI was changed to 30% migraine.

I need to get to 100% P & T. The route i want to take is get my 30% migraine up to a 50% migraine.

I know the elements that need to be proven, at least i think i do, re: proving economic hardships ( migraines affecting employment, etc.), but i am looking for specific advice/ help here.

- I have a co- works statement ( non military).

- my attorney is saying he wants a migraine log.?

any other pointers please?

For a 50% rating, does prostrating headaches also include definite economic loss (not being able to work vs  disruptions of work).

I understand prostrating to mean seditary/stationary or laying down until residuals reside.

Does it also include debilitating to include sitting down or stopping working until pain subsides.

A veteran in our chat group is pretty detailed and has been referred to a neurosurgeon by his primary doctor.

He was cited for tension headaches in the Army.

The economic loss could be frequent work disruptions to include leaving and going home.

Is their a headache log book to document headaches or do you just keep notes on regular paper?

Are you unemployed/unemployable?  This suggests TDIU.  However, your attorney knows more about you than we do, to know if you meet a higher criteria or not.  

My "first" idea would be to file an increase on PTSD "provided that" you meet the critieria for 100 percent.  Total occupational/social impairment.  

• Lead Moderator

All the above advice is great and I would follow it.

I assume you are working?  If not listen to Bronco's advice above.

If so the Migraine route is probably the way to go.  Keep a detailed log of how often and intensity and what you have to do to deal with it!  Also any medications you take to deal with it and how much it impacts the work day.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, goaltender said:

Any advice will be appreciated.

Here is what I have:

70% PTSD with panic attacks 

50% sleep apena

30% IBS

30% migraine including migraine variants (also claimed as headaches), residuals of traumatic brain injury.

If you get increased from 30% to 50% for migraines, your combined disability rating would be “94” which would round down to 90%. Strategically speaking, you would want to file a claim for increase when you are pretty sure the award would get you to the next “tier level” so to speak, which for you would be going from 90% to 100% and not staying at a combined 90% after an increase.

It is possible to go from 30% to 60% for IBS, but that would depend on what diagnostic code the VA rated you under for IBS (it is capped at 30% unless you have gastritis or GERD symptoms which would warrant a higher rating under another diagnostic code).

Increasing the migraines to 50% and increasing the IBS to 60% along with your 70% PTSD and 50% Sleep Apnea ratings would put your combined disability rating at “97” which would round up to 100% scheduler.

Of course you can also go the “TDIU” route as well. Go with the option that is most advantageous to you. Hang in there!!!