VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bill to extend coverage to more Vietnam veterans

Rate this question

Berta

Question

In Part:

"The "Forgotten Vietnam Veterans Act" would expand wartime benefits to veterans who served in the Vietnam War but have so far been ineligible for assistance because of a disagreement between the Pentagon and VA on when exactly the war happened.

The Defense Department currently recognizes the Vietnam War era as Nov. 1, 1955 to May 15, 1975. But VA says the Vietnam War era is Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975, making any veterans who served in the conflict prior to 1961 ineligible for wartime benefits at VA such as pensions and health care."

https://wben.radio.com/articles/radiocom/senators-bill-expands-va-benefits-to-more-vietnam-veterans

It is a nice idea but I don't understand how it could work.

The Bill does mention the same question I have with it- that if a vet joined the Mil at age 18 and went to Vietnam , Dec 1955---at age 20-he would be 86 by now and maybe be dead as well.

Most spouses of these vets might also be dead, and even if alive, what type of a claim could they file? If the vet had no claim pending at death , then no accrued claim can be filed and besuides the accrued claim would have had to be filed within the first year after their death

Who is going to find these vets above who are still alive ( or find their spouses if there is any potential at all for DIC? There is possible per the article that 10 of them died in Vietnam)

I can just imagine the problems these vets would have, would they need buddy letters but their buddies mght  all be dead? Would they even be able to get their SMRs etc,after 60 year s have passed??? They probably could but ,if they dont use a PC they would have to find someone who does, who can help them with their claims. And sometimes it is difficult to even get a vet rep who actually knows what they are doing.

These are not Nehmer Vets ,unless they were in Vietnam after 1961 AO started to be used, so no provisions for next of kin if both the vet and spouse are dead.

Ir is a noble idea to honor the veterans who fall under the Pre Vietnam War datelines, ad served in Vietnam ,but I am exasperated to realize no one thought of them sooner- when they could have really used VA health care and possibly had even received compensation.

The President of VVA ( Vietnam Veterans of America) stated in the article:

“This legislation, when enacted into law, will make right an historic wrong,” said John Rowan, national president and CEO of VVA.

I agree  but this probably won't cost VA much in compensation or DIC, or even in a Wartime Pension claim for any of them or their survivors.

Why didn't the VVA push for this sooner????

I bet many of these vets or their surviving spouses already get SSA and that can completely affect a Wartime pension rate- and the only way to 

reduce their income is with proof of medical bills they paid, but maybe Medicare paid many of those bills.

Edited by Berta

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Great idea, but decades too late for this class of veterans and surviving spouses.