VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Paid at 100% Back pay for increase of disability

Rate this question

lmtanner1972

Question

There are 2 ways to get SMC S (housebound).  As Buck mentioned if you have a "single 100 percent rating" plus additional ratings which combine to 60 percent or more, seperate and distinct, you are entitled to "statuatory" housbound.  It amounts to about $370 per month additonal.   So, if you meet this criteria, you should get retro pay.

You can also get housebound (SMC S) based on you being "substantially confined" to your home, an opinion which is normally given by your doctor.  

SMC S (housebound) is just "one" of many ways to get additional compensation for Veterans with 100 percent.  You can get SMC for  "loss of use" for hands, feet, blindness, etc., and these can be combined for even greater compensation.  

Its a common myth that VSO's often spout that "once you get to 100 percent" you are maxed out, you cant get more".  Its not true at all.  

Here are official VA compensation rates and what they are for:

https://www.va.gov/disability/compensation-rates/special-monthly-compensation-rates/

At the highest level, they go over $9000 per month.  

You are now eligible for the additional VA SMC rating, if you don't already receive it.
It all depends upon how this increase came about.
Generally the answer is NO.
Only if you filed for a CUE back to the original date of your SC disability?
Now is the time for you to join one of the many SC 100% P+T groups on FB.

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Longfellow said:

You are now eligible for the additional VA SMC rating, if you don't already receive it.
It all depends upon how this increase came about.
Generally the answer is NO.
Only if you filed for a CUE back to the original date of your SC disability?
Now is the time for you to join one of the many SC 100% P+T groups on FB.

Longfellow Unfortunately this is wrong

To be eligible for SMC a Veteran will need a 100%Scheduler  rating  or a combined rating for 100% or inferred the TDIU  And also have a separate  & distinct rating at 60%  to be eligible for SMC

lmtanner1972

yes you should get an increase rating and from the date you first applied for the increase until you were Awarded the increase ,''

if it took you 1 year from the date you first filed for the increase  you should get a years retro on the difference  from what you already been paid. if you were 50%  and you got a 100& rating the difference from  the 50% you should get paid the other 50% which is a higher rate.  yes you should get some retro.

8 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

To be eligible for SMC a Veteran will need a 100%Scheduler  rating  or a combined rating for 100% or inferred the TDIU  And also have a separate  & distinct rating at 60%  to be eligible for SMC

lmtanner1972

yes you should get an increase rating and from the date you first applied for the increase until you were Awarded the increase ,''

if it took you 1 year from the date you first filed for the increase  you should get a years retro on the difference  from what you already been paid. if you were 50%  and you got a 100& rating the difference from  the 50% you should get paid the other 50% which is a higher rate.  yes you should get some retro.

Thank you, for going a little deeper into the SMC subject matter, Buck52.  ie. 100% plus another disability rating at 60% or more.

lmtanner1972 did write: 

3 hours ago, lmtanner1972 said:

one of my disabilities was increased from 50% to 100%

I interpreted lmtanner1972 as having other disabilities that may be 50% or more.  I thought he was  also asking if he will get retroactive VA disability pay back to his initial filing?
IDK, maybe or maybe not! It depends on what was written in his NOD?

It's extremely difficult to give an accurate assessment without seeing what all of his current SC VA disability ratings. He may also be eligible for A&A.  Hence the reason I mention joining Veteran 100% SC disability groups on Face Book. In one of those groups he would be able to take a screen shot, then redact his VA award letter, and post it to get a more accurate assessment from other VA SMC Veterans with similar SC disabilities.

I'm rated at SMC now. Although my total VA SC disabilities add up to 370%.
I'm before the BVA now waiting for the VLJ to make a clarification from the previous inept VARO remand decisions. I wish I would have filed a claim with the VA when I was discharged in the 70's. But, because I prescribed only Fiorinal by the USAF exit exam evaluating NP and was told I had to be missing arms or legs to get any VA benefits.

Similar to AskNod, I finally woke up to the false and misleading information given at discharge and from VSO's along the way. I initially filed my 1st VA SC disability claim back in 'January of 99. I'm still on the VA hamster wheel sorting out the previous inaccurate VARO ratings and waiting for CUE retro pay.  It should all coalesce by this October - November time frame.

Good Luck to all with their VA travails!

8 hours ago, Longfellow said:

Thank you, for going a little deeper into the SMC subject matter, Buck52.  ie. 100% plus another disability rating at 60% or more.

lmtanner1972 did write: 

I interpreted lmtanner1972 as having other disabilities that may be 50% or more.  I thought he was  also asking if he will get retroactive VA disability pay back to his initial filing?
IDK, maybe or maybe not! It depends on what was written in his NOD?

It's extremely difficult to give an accurate assessment without seeing what all of his current SC VA disability ratings. He may also be eligible for A&A.  Hence the reason I mention joining Veteran 100% SC disability groups on Face Book. In one of those groups he would be able to take a screen shot, then redact his VA award letter, and post it to get a more accurate assessment from other VA SMC Veterans with similar SC disabilities.

I'm rated at SMC now. Although my total VA SC disabilities add up to 370%.
I'm before the BVA now waiting for the VLJ to make a clarification from the previous inept VARO remand decisions. I wish I would have filed a claim with the VA when I was discharged in the 70's. But, because I prescribed only Fiorinal by the USAF exit exam evaluating NP and was told I had to be missing arms or legs to get any VA benefits.

Similar to AskNod, I finally woke up to the false and misleading information given at discharge and from VSO's along the way. I initially filed my 1st VA SC disability claim back in 'January of 99. I'm still on the VA hamster wheel sorting out the previous inaccurate VARO ratings and waiting for CUE retro pay.  It should all coalesce by this October - November time frame.

Good Luck to all with their VA travails!

10 hours ago, Buck52 said:

lmtanner1972

This is what my disabilities look like, I was already paid at a 100% total combine rating with SMC K-1 since 2010. The SMC that I'm paid for has increased from 50% to 100% this is why I was wondering if I was going to receive back pay. Thank you all for help me out so quickly. 

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i) on account of Status Post Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy with Chronic Pelvic Pain (claimed as Incomplete Cervix and Menstrual Disorder due to Pelvic Pain) rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disability of Major Depressive Disorder, independently ratable at 60 percent or more from09/02/2010 to 01/01/2011. Rating Date : 06/12/2020

degenerative disc disease, lumbar spine 10% Service Connected   05/01/2009
Hallux Valgus with Bunion, Left Foot 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

06/27/2000
Hallux Valgus, Right Foot, Status-Post Bunionectomy 10% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

06/27/2000

Status Post Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy with Chronic Pelvic Pain (claimed as Incompetent Cervix and Menstrual Disorder due to Pelvic Pain) 50% Service Connected   01/01/2011

major depressive disorder

70% Service Connected   02/23/2010

urinary incontinence

20% Service Connected   10/16/2014

Migraine Headaches 50% Service Connected   05/01/2009

10 hours ago, Buck52 said:

lmtanner1972

This is what my disabilities look like, I was already paid at a 100% total combine rating with SMC K-1 since 2010. The SMC that I'm paid for has increased from 50% to 100% this is why I was wondering if I was going to receive back pay. Thank you all for help me out so quickly. 

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i) on account of Status Post Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy with Chronic Pelvic Pain (claimed as Incomplete Cervix and Menstrual Disorder due to Pelvic Pain) rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disability of Major Depressive Disorder, independently ratable at 60 percent or more from09/02/2010 to 01/01/2011. Rating Date : 06/12/2020

degenerative disc disease, lumbar spine 10% Service Connected   05/01/2009
Hallux Valgus with Bunion, Left Foot 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

06/27/2000
Hallux Valgus, Right Foot, Status-Post Bunionectomy 10% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

06/27/2000

Status Post Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy with Chronic Pelvic Pain (claimed as Incompetent Cervix and Menstrual Disorder due to Pelvic Pain) 50% Service Connected   01/01/2011

major depressive disorder

70% Service Connected   02/23/2010

urinary incontinence

20% Service Connected   10/16/2014

Migraine Headaches 50% Service Connected   05/01/2009