VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 P&T (Surprised)

Rate this topic

PEACHES1962

On 6/29/2020 at 12:22 AM, PEACHES1962 said:

I am really excited and surprised to learn that I finally reached my 100% P&T SMC from the VA.  I just wanted to express my appreciation to this website reading about others success and not giving up. I was truthful with my disabilities to my C&P examiners and when I doubted my issues would not be looked at seriously I found that they were. I often think about how I wish I would have done this years ago. I know back then that I did not understand the system and that all I needed were my medical records (enlisted and VA) along with understanding how my illnesses/issues were connected. I always thought that being female in the military was really hard, but proving your disabilities afterwards seemed unimaginable. However, I did it and now I am 100% P&T SMC.  I am not going for TDIU because I really love my job and have no intention of quitting/leaving at this time.  Thank you HADIT for assistance with my guidance in this process!!!

Congratulations!

Not sure how you are thinking but as long as you continue to work, you don't qualify for TDIU.  TDIU (Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability) this benefit is for those veterans who disability(ies) has not reached 100% and their service connected disability(ies) make them unable to work and unemployable.  VA would then grant them TDIU. If you did decide to leave/quit your job, you would still be rated 100% P & T SMC and you would not qualify for TDIU because it would simply pay the same rate.

• 4 months later...

Update I did not even think about if you did decide to quit/leave your job due to your disabilities. You would most likely qualify for SSDI(Social Security Disability Insurance.) 

Sorry for the late post but I saw this at the bottom of the page and I wanted to make sure you knew that if your condition got/get worst this would be the next step for you.

The Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program pays benefits to you and certain family members if you are “insured,” meaning that you worked long enough – and recently enough - and paid Social Security taxes on your earnings.

Disability Benefits | SSA

• 5 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:22 PM, PEACHES1962 said:

I am really excited and surprised to learn that I finally reached my 100% P&T SMC from the VA.  I just wanted to express my appreciation to this website reading about others success and not giving up. I was truthful with my disabilities to my C&P examiners and when I doubted my issues would not be looked at seriously I found that they were. I often think about how I wish I would have done this years ago. I know back then that I did not understand the system and that all I needed were my medical records (enlisted and VA) along with understanding how my illnesses/issues were connected. I always thought that being female in the military was really hard, but proving your disabilities afterwards seemed unimaginable. However, I did it and now I am 100% P&T SMC.  I am not going for TDIU because I really love my job and have no intention of quitting/leaving at this time.  Thank you HADIT for assistance with my guidance in this process!!!

I was led to believe that I just had to suck it up and VA disability was something for people who were wounded in combat. 10 years after getting out I joined the VFW and started reading about appeals in their magazine. From there I applied and was denied. It took 15 years after I left to get my first rating and am now at 90%. 20 years later I got my DD214 changed since my rank was taken unjustly.

I'm thankful that I didn't give up. I'm glad to hear you didn't give up either. No one but you knows what you went through to get where you're at. I hope your life is a lot better now.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use