VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fugitive felon status and overpayments

Rate this question

SIMS A1C Retired

Question

in 1999 I was indicted in Oregon and because my court documents were marked "hold in confidence" I was not informed of any pending warrants . I have direct deposit, was in prison in washington , VA and SS have my phone number and addresses . I simply had no knowledge I was in "fugitive status" for 11 1/2 years thus resulting in an $176,000 VA overpayment which I've made 93 payments of $500... I have resolved the warrant resulting in spending 5 days in jail. How or why would any agency especially the VA allow this overpayment to go on so long? THEY obviously had the knowledge of my status. This has literally destroyed my life as well as taken my confidence in a secure future and threw it away. I feel punished for being a vet

I know it's all confusing but please, anyone, guide me in the right direction

thank you

Edited by SIMS A1C Retired
Added more helpful info

• HadIt.com Elder

UP IN THE STATE OF ORGAN My bother wife was caught taking old people money from there Bank she was their care giver and they would go to the drive in window at the Bank and the old lady would giver  her  her card and pin#  and tell her to take out a certain amount   well my brothers wife would tell it to take out way over what the little old lady had her to take out  she would give the little old lady the amount she requested to take out and my brothers wife would keep the other part and it was like 1000.00 1.500.00   so this was plain  theft and a felony...she kept doing this over and over and the relatives was wondering where all their mothers money was going so the Bank fixed the camaras and sound  where they heard the old lady request to the care giver my brothers wife (notice I never said my sister-in -law)  THEY INDICTED HER AND SHE WAS OUT ON BAIL   and way she left and went to Oklahoma  and  NOW Oregon is waiting for the Oklahoma Authorities  to bring her back to Oregon...Oregon won't spend the money to go get her  and she is running around loose steeling oklahoma's old people money.....I hope when they catch up with her she goes to prison  a long long time  and my brother divorces her.  LUCKY THEY DON'T HAVE CHILDREN TOGETHER.

I read the link brokensoldier posted, and you should also.  Jim Strickland used the term "may" have benefits witheld.  Its smart of him not to say "they will" be withheld.  

I agree with Jim Strickland's advice but would add:

1.  As he suggested file a nod disputing your fleeing felon status.  

2.  As I suggested, write a letter to VA debt management asking for a waiver of debt repayment.  This is NOT the same as a NOD.   

3.  Consider legal help.  You may be able to quash the "fleeing felon" status.