VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Working and Aid and Attendance

Rate this question

Anthony333777

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I would say it would be what you would need help with activities of daily living and the job and accomodations you have. I've never heard of it either. Then again, there are plenty of veterans I know that are 100% Permanent and Total and they are working, so I think anything is possible. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Anthony333777

The Aid and Attendance benefit is a monetary benefit that helps eligible veterans and their surviving spouses (widows / widowers) to pay for the assistance they need in everyday functioning (eating, bathing, dressing, and medication management).

so if your a veteran getting A&A how can you be working?

obviously your meaning about something Else  like IU ?

a100% veteran can workif he can find a job that he can do with his sc disability  as an IU veteran is not suppose to work being paid at the 100%rate  

Now in my opinion that's not fair to let a 100% veteran work and not let a IU Veteran work,  there both considered 100%  

The VA Needs to change this either let both veterans work  or neither,  one of the two , but just let a 100 % scheduler veteran work its simply is not fair  (jmo)

Edited by Buck52

The conundrum is 100% scheduler, VS, TDIU, which is what you are probably alluding too.

100% scheduler is a disability or disabilities that represent a percentage of a whole person, and has nothing to do with needing A&A, but could.  So, you can be 100% scheduler and work.

However, if you are TDIU, you are not supposed to work.

I think your question has some validity, however, you would need evidence to support it.  You would need an employer that would support all your home A&A requirements that granted your A&A.  And I would think that if you go VA A&A, you probably should be getting SSDI, which would preclude working in itself.  

I get spousal A&A for my disabled wife.  I do not see any employer doing what is required for my wife at home at a job.  And I'm sure the employer would have to keep a record of it.  Another obstacle an employer would probably shy away from.

Probably a VA reg that says no.  So there is that.  You would need to do some reading.

Good luck,

Hamslice

"The VA Needs to change this either let both veterans work  or neither,  one of the two , but just let a 100 % scheduler veteran work its simply is not fair  (jmo)"

Buck, 

I have to respectfully disagree.  TDIU, is getting full benefits because you can't work and don't meet the requirements for total disability.  100% scheduler has nothing to do with work, it has to do with disabilities.  The VA compensates us for losing the ability to perform certain activities because of disabilities.  

An simple example would be a 200% (scheduler) rated quadriplegic Combat Veteran, that can make a living using a adaptive keyboard and is a financial wizard.  The opposite, would be a 70% (TDIU) rated PTSD Combat Veteran that can not be employed because he has unstable social skills.

So, to me there is a big difference,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

OK Disagree that's fine.no problem  your opinion counts too!

but I have strong opinions about this I always have...I think a 80%  90% disabled vet is just as bad or even worse off as scheduler 100% vet  ,they both are rendered disabled, and to let a scheduler 100% Veteran work to make more income for his family and NOT  let the IU P&T veteran work  and in the same condition as the 100%scheduler VET  work  some thing wrong with this picture

I 've see 100%scheduler  veterans that if you would want to guess there %of disability it would not be 100%  and Yeah I realize some disability's are hard to vision  like heart problems  PTSD ect,,ect,,,

Well the IU Veteran could possibly have all those too  but its the way they rate veterans.

I've seen I00% veterans  with a lot less disability's than  the TDIU P&T Veteran ,but yet the 100% vet can work and the IU   VET IS NOT SUPPOSE TO WORK.

LOOKS LIKE TO ME THE 100% Veteran would be worse off with a higher rating, say 80% or 90% that they throw at the IU Veteran

both are getting paid at the 100% rate so why not let these regulations go for both type veterans and let them both work if there able..to do any type of work.

If I was rating a Veteran and come to a 90% rating I;d do all I could to jack this veteran on up to the 100%

but at the same time  its all about meeting the rating criteria which is a very very thin line.  combat vet or not.

all of my service connected disability's are from combat  and only reach the 90% at 94.4 So I got the TDIU P&T.

it took me 14 years to reach the scheduler 100% my TDIU P&T and now my TDIU P&T is Moot

but as  like you mention I was lucky and never had a limb blowed off but ,these type veterans are the ones that don't meet the 100% scheduler rating more often than not,  unless its bilateral limbs and education as nothing to do with the way they rate veterans 100% or IU ...Now Age can be a factor for the IU but I was 46 at the time and took 6 years to get the TDIU P&T

I look at both these ratings as the same being they are both paid at the 100%rate. 

as hard has it is to get any kind of rating S.C. and a Rating giving a veteran that is only getting the lesser rating say 80%0r 90%   He have to be crazy to turn down the IU  SO HE GETS IT AND US USUALLY STUCK WITH IT THE REST OF HIS LIFE

Anyway its just my opinion and the way I look at this.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Edited by Buck52